Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 156319
text boxes in Java applets don't work with new Firefox
Last modified: 2008-08-02 19:40:33 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.7) Gecko/20050416 Fedora/1.0.3-1.3.1 Firefox/1.0.3
Description of problem:
Go to a website that has a Java applet that has text boxes.
Try to enter some text.
It's not working, no matter what i type in, nothing shows up.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. see above
Java(TM) Plug-in 1.4.2_08-b03
The whole thing started out recently. Text entries in Java applets used to work until a few weeks ago.
Trying out Java 1.5 has no point since many sites are not yet compatible with it.
Discussion on fedora-list, subject "Firefox and Java bug":
And here's an example of non-working applet:
Pretty damn cool website, such a pity it's hit by this bug.
I've other examples, totally unrelated sites, but they're work-related so i
can't post URLs. :-)
Per suggestion by Calvin Austin on fedora-list, i thought that perhaps Firefox
does not let the applet get the focus. However, that's not true. There's a site
(sorry, can't post URL) where the applet comes up with one of the text fields
having two weird characters - they look like little dotted squares. I can delete
those characters using Backspace, so the applet does get the focus.
It's just that i can't type in my own text.
I believe, but i may be wrong, that that text field that i mentioned used to
come up with a five-digit user ID pre-filled in. Instead, now there are just
Might be related to bug #156276 (try changing to LANG env var as suggested there
and reporting on the results)
answer to comment #4
Yes, it did fix it.
While launching firefox, i got these messages:
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "UTF-8"
are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
I agree that this is the same bug as 156276. As indicated in comment #5, LANG=C
fixed it for us too. Until there is a patch, we are setting LANG=UTF-8 just
before invoking java, but not changing it from LANG=en_US.UTF-8 for the entire
Alright, this is not just about Java applets running in Firefox, it's about any
I tested Visual Route for Linux as a standalone Java app, and i get the
unreadable characters unless i do a "export LANG=C" before launching VR.
We cannot set LANG=C by default in order to workaround a java bug.
Answer to comment #8
Warren, i did not imply that you should set LANG=C. That is just a workaround
that seems to fix the problem until a proper solution is found.
And i don't believe it's a Java bug either. The system was working properly
until some Fedora update, after which many Java applets and applications stopped
Fedora Core 3 is now maintained by the Fedora Legacy project for security
updates only. If this problem is a security issue, please reopen and
reassign to the Fedora Legacy product. If it is not a security issue and
hasn't been resolved in the current FC5 updates or in the FC6 test
release, reopen and change the version to match.
I don't have access to the particular Java Web application where I noticed the
issue for the first time (it was a fairly big and complex application) and
nowadays I'm not using any other Web apps at that level of complexity. Cannot do
tests anymore for this bug.