Description of problem:
See the following details.
Version-Release number of the following components:
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Set up 3.9 env, make sure swap is on before upgrade.
# free -m
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 14877 1401 180 3 13296 13059
Swap: 2047 0 2047
# cat /etc/fstab
/var/swapfile swap swap defaults 0 0
2. trigger upgrade
After upgrade is completed, check swap, swap is still on.
According https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1557200#c6, whatever openshift_disable_swap=false or not, swap should always be disabled.
Go through the whole upgrade log, seem like roles/openshift_node/tasks/main.yml is not called, so no "Disable swap" task happen.
We will stop disabling swap on every upgrade because we've required swap to be disabled since 3.4. This PR is for removing the optional variable which was never publicly documented.
Fixed in openshift-ansible-3.10.70-1
This bug is reported against 3.9 -> 3.10 upgrade, re-test this with openshift-ansible-3.10.71-1.git.0.3e9431a.el7, still reproduce, the swap is not disabled during the upgrade progress, that is because roles/openshift_node/tasks/main.yml is not called in the upgrade.
If we decide to leave the disable task out of 3.10 upgrade, but in fresh install, then I think this PR should be backport to 3.9. Am I right?
BTW, I also tried a 3.10 fresh install, even I set "openshift_disable_swap=false" in inventory file, "Disable swap" task is still called, the PR is working well as expected.
Created attachment 1503598 [details]
upgrade log with inventory file embeded
Installs of 3.9 and upgrades to 3.9 will ensure swap is disabled.
We will leave the disable task out of the 3.10 upgrade. If a user enables swap after installing 3.9 it is their choice to go against documented recommendations.
Based on comment 5 and comment 7, move to this bug to "VERIFIED".
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.