Description of problem:
With this version of dnf --
# rpm -q dnf
-- updates are not possible. Dnf can not parse the configuration files in /etc/yum.conf.d any more.
# dnf update
Förrådet EGI-trustanchors har ingen spegel eller bas-url satt.
Förrådet rawhide har ingen spegel eller bas-url satt.
Förrådet rawhide-debuginfo har ingen spegel eller bas-url satt.
Förrådet rawhide-source har ingen spegel eller bas-url satt.
Fel: Det finns inga aktiva förråd.
It says "no mirror or base-url set". I tried to set LANG to C to get the error message in English for the purpose of this comment, but then dnf suddenly can parse the configuration. However, now it segfaults instead.
# LANG=C.UTF-8 dnf update
Last metadata expiration check: 0:43:42 ago on Wed Jul 4 09:08:21 2018.
Segmenteringsfel (minnesutskrift skapad)
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. See above
DNF updates packages.
This report was cloned from bug 1596827 comment 2, at the request of Adam Williamson.
Created attachment 1456687 [details]
I see this bug too.
It seems to be language-related because switching language from Swedish to English resolved the problem.
dnf update works fine in englsih environment, but fails in Swedish.
See attached dumps from the respective terminals.
Created attachment 1475577 [details]
Terminal content when using EN UI-language,
Created attachment 1475578 [details]
Terminal content when using SV UI-language,
This bug appears to have been reported against 'rawhide' during the Fedora 29 development cycle.
Changing version to '29'.
Proposed as a Blocker for 29-beta by Fedora user ellert using the blocker tracking app because:
Impossible to update using dnf.
Discussed during the 2018-08-20 blocker review meeting: 
The decision to classify this bug as an "AcceptedBlocker" (Final) was made as it violates the following criteria:
"The installed system must be able appropriately to install, remove, and update software with the default console tool for the relevant software type (e.g. default console package manager)...", affecting Swedish installs (and possibly others) and that using LC_ALL is an acceptable workaround for Beta but not for Final.
dnf install glibc-langpack-sv
bash -c 'export LANG=sv_SE.UTF-8; dnf clean all; dnf update'
It really complains about missing URL:
msgid "Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: %s"
msgstr "Kan inte hitta en giltig bas-url för förrådet: %s"
For the record, everything works fine with the Czech locales.
URL is tested (regular expression) in libdnf.
But there is a change in Evaluation of regular expression since Fedora 28!
(newer gilbc?). How many scripts and programs will be affected?
Explanation of problem:
A range expression '[a-z]' matches character 'w' in LANG=C.
export LANG=C; echo 'w' | grep '[a-z]'
But in LANG=sv_SE.UTF8 it matches only until Fedora 27. Since Fedora 28 (newer glibc?) does not!
export LANG=sv_SE.UTF8; echo 'w' | grep '[a-z]'
(In reply to Jaroslav Rohel from comment #9)
> URL is tested (regular expression) in libdnf.
> But there is a change in Evaluation of regular expression since Fedora 28!
> (newer gilbc?). How many scripts and programs will be affected?
> Explanation of problem:
> A range expression '[a-z]' matches character 'w' in LANG=C.
> export LANG=C; echo 'w' | grep '[a-z]'
> But in LANG=sv_SE.UTF8 it matches only until Fedora 27. Since Fedora 28
> (newer glibc?) does not!
> export LANG=sv_SE.UTF8; echo 'w' | grep '[a-z]'
This is a bit weird.
Until 2006 w was generally considered to be a variant of v in the Swedish alphabet and not a base letter. Since 2006 however, w is considered to be a base letter in the Swedish alphabet. This is because the Swedish Academy's thesaurus published that year listed words beginning with w under a separate heading after words beginning with v, while earlier editions has listed words spelled with v and w interleaved.
So w not matching [a-z] in the Swedish locale would have been correct until 2006 but not now.
Yes, it is weird. I was suprised when I found this issue.
I fixed the libdnf. And filled bug to glibc.
I can reproduce the `Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: updates` error with tr_CY and tr_TR locales but not with sv_SE.UTF-8, sv_SE works correctly.
Sorry, forgot to mention DNF version, it is dnf-3.5.1-1.fc29.noarch.
anaconda-29.24.3-2.fc29 dnf-3.6.1-1.fc29 dnf-plugins-core-3.0.4-1.fc29 dnf-plugins-extras-3.0.2-1.fc29 libdnf-0.20.0-1.fc29 lorax-29.12-3.fc29 has been submitted as an update to Fedora 29. https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2018-abc8825d92
anaconda-29.24.3-2.fc29, dnf-3.6.1-1.fc29, dnf-plugins-core-3.0.4-1.fc29, dnf-plugins-extras-3.0.2-1.fc29, libdnf-0.20.0-1.fc29, lorax-29.12-3.fc29 has been pushed to the Fedora 29 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Updates_Testing for
instructions on how to install test updates.
You can provide feedback for this update here: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2018-abc8825d92
(In reply to Çağatay Yiğit Şahin from comment #14)
> Sorry, forgot to mention DNF version, it is dnf-3.5.1-1.fc29.noarch.
I hope it is fixed in libdnf-0.20.0.
Please, try topical DNF with libdnf-0.20.0 (or newer).
Thanks! It is fixed.
anaconda-29.24.3-2.fc29, dnf-3.6.1-1.fc29, dnf-plugins-core-3.0.4-1.fc29, dnf-plugins-extras-3.0.2-1.fc29, libdnf-0.20.0-1.fc29, lorax-29.12-3.fc29 has been pushed to the Fedora 29 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.