Description of problem:
Viewing the Developer Catalog in the Developer console shows no results until clicking "Clear All Filters"
This applies to all categories.
This worked in 4.3.x, and there is no network traffic when I click "Clear All Filters", so I think it's a UI bug.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable): 4.4.3
How reproducible: Every time
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Navigate to the catalog eg: https://console-openshift-console.apps.cluster.domain.tld/catalog/ns/mysql-test?category=all
2. Shows a "No Results Match the Filter Criteria" message
3. Click "Clear All Filters"
4. All catalog items are now displayed
No Catalog items
Catalog items without having to click clear.
Oh this might be https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1810481
I've noticed that it's the "Type" (eg Operator Backed, Helm Charts, Builder Image, Template, Service Class) that is causing the filtering problems.
Mine had defaulted to "Operator Backed" which had no results, even when I clicked clear, reloading the page would put it back to "Operator Backed".
Now that I have selected a "Type" it seems to remember, including if I uncheck all the types, it now remembers that. But clicking "Clear All Filters" wouldn't persist that change.
It seems that for new sessions it defaults back to "Operator Backed", I think it should default to nothing checked.
Ok, it looks like the actual bugzilla is https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1797891.
This comment: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1797891#c4
says it was intentional, which I find really strange. Because when you go Add -> Database, it ends up showing nothing, which for me made me think my upgrade had failed and that all the templates were missing or something like that.
There is some smaller text that says "No developer catalog items are being shown due to the filters being applied.", which I thought it meant that there were no databases, because in my mind the database category is a type of filter. There is nothing indicating in the UI about what is and what isn't a filter, there is only the search box which has "Filter by keyword..." in it, which is blank by default.
What is the reasoning by choosing "Operator Backed" by default? If you have an existing namespace with some operators installed then you do get some results, but for new namespaces with no operators then you see nothing at all. Or is this RedHat's way of signalling that Helm Charts, Builder Images, Templates and Service Classes are being deprecated?
Thank you Joel for your comments.
Clearing the filters should be persisted (this is a bug). Upon refresh, the filters should remain cleared.
When you go to Add -> Database the first time, it should not automatically select operator backed (another bug). Nor should it apply the previously saved filters. For this reason I'm increasing the severity as it creates a bad first experience.
Pre-selecting operator backed was a UX decision to promote their use.
I have validated the bugzilla on:
Browser: Google Chrome Version 81.0.4044.129
Marking this as verified.
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.