Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 188952
Enabling Music Causes Sound Anomolies
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:30 EST
Description of problem: When music is enabled it is choppy and distorted.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Turn music volume on and restart freedoom
Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 04)
I can't seem to get the music to play anything useful either. version 2.4.1 was
released about a week ago. They don't advertise fixes to the sound system, but
I'll see if it helps nonetheless.
The problem still exists in 2.4.1. Nevertheless, I'll still upgrade the package
to this latest release.
Changing the component from freedoom to prboom as it's a problem with the game
engine, not the game data files.
Are you running this on x86_64 or i386? I just tried on FC-5 i386 in vmware and
the music played fine. But on my FC-4 x86_64 box it's comes out as static. The
results were the same for prboom 2.3.1 and 2.4.1.
I'm bringing up FC4-i386 for testing now and will try FC-5 x86_64 tomorrow.
Looks most definetly like an x86_64 problem them, I'll see if I can reproduce it
on my x86_64 too. Ofso I can try to take a look, but currently my time is
limited and there are other higher priority fedora related things on my todo.
Further testing shows that it only happens on x86_64. The music plays fine on
FC4 and FC5 i386.
Here's some info that might help with debugging:
The music files are stored in the freedoom iwad /usr/share/doom/freedoom.wad.
You can extract them with deutex:
# cp /usr/share/doom/freedoom.wad ./doom2.wad
# deutex -xtract ./doom2.wad
(I've got a patch to simplify this, but the buildsys is down right now)
The music files will be extracted into ./musics. They are midi files in .mus
format. I haven't had a chance to track down the midi playing code in prboom
yet, and I've had trouble getting a midi player to play them at all. I suspect
they're in some special format that gets processed inside of prboom.
More debugging info:
prboom converts the music resources in the iwad into a temp midi file in /tmp.
I verified that the converted files are identical on x86_64 and i386.
You can play the converted file manually by using the SDL_mixer program 'playmus'.
However, on x86_64, playmus does not play the file correctly. It does play it
correctly on i386. This sounds to me like a SDL_mixer problem.
Here is one of the converted midi files from prboom that you can test with:
This looks like the same problem reported here:
A new SDL_mixer build has been pushed that should fix this issue. Setting
resolution to 'NOTABUG' since this is not a bug in prboom.