Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 189664
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:31 EST
Description of problem:
RPM creates an automatic perl-dependency for aspell. On most of my machines,
perl is installed only because of bad packaging but not, because it is needed.
This dependency on perl is caused only by /usr/bin/aspell-import which is not
needed for core functionality.
Because perl is a huge and usually unneeded package it would be nice when this
requirement would be removed from the 'aspell' package.
Ways would be:
* move non-core tools (e.g. aspell-import, precat, pre*zip, ...) into a -tools
* move libs into a -lib subpackage so that e.g. 'php' would require aspell-libs
instead of a bloaty 'aspell'
* do not package 'import-aspell'
* move 'import-aspell' into %doc section and remove x-permissions
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
0. rpm -Uvh --root `pwd`/test fedora-release-5-5.noarch.rpm --nodeps
# not really needed but helps with yum
2. yum --installroot `pwd`/test php
3. rpm -e --root `pwd`/test perl
'perl' is installed and required only by 'aspell'
| $ rpm -e --root `pwd`/test perl
| error: Failed dependencies:
| /usr/bin/perl is needed by (installed) aspell-0.60.3-5.i386
--> 'aspell' is the only package requiring 'perl'
'perl' would not have been installed during 2) because 'perl' is not required to
make 'aspell' work.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 175178 ***