Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 193567
DRI permission problem
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:34 EST
Description of problem:
First, I really don't know whether this bug is reported against the right
component or not. Then, the facts.
Although DRI seems to initialize properly (as reported by Xorg.0.log), it cannot
be used neither by e.g. AIGLX, glxinfo or glxgears. This is on an Itanium
workstation with an ATI FireGL X1 (R300 chipset) graphics adapter. The following
error is displayed:
libGL error: open DRM failed (Operation not permitted)
libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering
As user emeric, ls -lZ /dev/dri/card0 gives:
crw------- emeric root system_u:object_r:dri_device_t /dev/dri/card0
which seems correct to me.
Furthermore, the DRI section in my xorg.conf file is as follows:
I've checked on a x86 Rawhide system: the DRI section is identical.
This issue is present on ia64 since at least January 10th 2006 (the date I
installed Rawhide on my Itanium workstation). Mike Harris suggested this could
be an udev issue. So I filed bug #184045 against udev at that time, but none of
the proposed solutions does the trick. Logging in as root or with SELinux
disabled didn't help.
I recently had the opportunity to put my hands on a Matrox G400 graphics adapter
and put it into my Itanium workstation for testing purposes: same permission
error, so it isn't related to the xorg-x11-drv-ati component.
FYI, I have openSUSE Factory installed on my 2nd HDD from roughly one month now
and DRI works. Well, it's highly unstable (glxgears crashes immediately and
requires a reboot) but glxinfo doesn't report the permission problem and reports
"direct rendering: Yes". A great difference between Fedora Rawhide and openSUSE
Factory is that the latter is shipped with X.org 6.9. IIRC, X.org 6.9/7.0 share
the same source code. So, either something broke DRI during the "modularization"
of the X.org 7.0 code, or (if the X.org 6.9 and 7.0 codes are identical except
for the modularization) this is due to one of the patches applied to the X.org
7.0 code by the Fedora maintainers/developers. Or maybe yet an other thing.
I really don't know how to help further so am open to any suggestion in order to
help finding the root of this problem.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
From the X.org.log file, X.org 7.1.0
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Invoke glxinfo or glxgears
Working DRI :-)
Created attachment 130240 [details]
Output of strace glxinfo
Created attachment 130241 [details]
My xorg.conf file
Created attachment 130242 [details]
My Xorg.0.log file
*** Bug 193566 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
I forget to give the following output: ls -lZ /usr/lib/dri/*
-rwxr-xr-x root root system_u:object_r:textrel_shlib_t i810_dri.so
-rwxr-xr-x root root system_u:object_r:textrel_shlib_t i915_dri.so
-rwxr-xr-x root root system_u:object_r:textrel_shlib_t mga_dri.so
-rwxr-xr-x root root system_u:object_r:textrel_shlib_t r128_dri.so
-rwxr-xr-x root root system_u:object_r:textrel_shlib_t r200_dri.so
-rwxr-xr-x root root system_u:object_r:textrel_shlib_t r300_dri.so
-rwxr-xr-x root root system_u:object_r:textrel_shlib_t radeon_dri.so
which also seems to be correct.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 184045 ***