Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 196102
Fetching Exchange email breaks after initial success
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:35 EST
Description of problem:
When evolution is started, the Exchange folders are scanned, available messages
are displayed in the message list pane, and can be read or moved to local folders.
After a while (less than 10 minutes I'd say), this breaks. New messages are
still being indicated (counted up) in the folder pane, but upon selecting the
Inbox folder under the Exchange account the message list pane remains empty, and
no Exchange email can be accessed.
Quitting and restarting evolution makes those new message available, but after a
short while the problem re-occurs.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
As described above.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Start evolution, fetch all available Exchange email
2. Wait a while
3. New Exchange mail is indicated but not accessible
This problem first occured after the upgrade to version 2.6.2-1 and associated.
When the Inbox problem occurs, the Deleted Messages folder under the Exchange
account is affected as follows: I can expunge the folder, and get a progress
indication in the status bar, but the message list remains unchanged (instead of
being cleared). After restarting evolution the message list for the Deleted
Messages folder is empty and shows that the expunge action did in fact succeed.
When the problem occurs, sending mail via Exchange as well as Exchange Calendar,
Contacts and GAL keep working, i.e. the Exchange Connector isn't dead.
Seeing the exact same problem here, under x86-64. Can't downgrade to 2.6.1 due
On my systems (all i386) the only dependency that has to be downgraded along
with evolution is gnome-panel(-devel). No big deal. I seem to remember that some
other packages depend on evolution (e.g. beagle via evolution-sharp) but I'm not
[frank@hortense tmp]$ sudo yum localinstall
Error: Missing Dependency: libedata-cal-1.2.so.1()(64bit) is needed by package
Error: Missing Dependency: libecal-1.2.so.3()(64bit) is needed by package
[frank@hortense ~]$ locate libedata-cal
[frank@hortense ~]$ locate libecal
[frank@hortense ~]$ sudo yum whatprovides libecal
evolution-data-server.x86_64 1.6.2-1.fc5.1 updates
[frank@hortense ~]$ sudo yum deplist evolution-data-server
package: evolution-data-server.x86_64 1.5.92-1
provider: cairo.x86_64 1.0.2-5
provider: cairo.x86_64 1.0.4-1
provider: openldap.x86_64 2.3.19-4
ETC. ETC. ETC.
Both seem to be provided by evolution-data-server, but at a rev below the
evolution-data-server I have installed, which means I'd also have to downgrade
that, which means downgrading about a hundred other packages. I don't want to
get into a downgrade spiral just to downgrade this one package. Guess that's
why they call it "dependancy hell", eh? :)
Here's what I did:
Downloaded the previous versions from the update repo, then
rpm -Uvh --oldversion evolution-2.6.1-1.fc5.2.i386.rpm \
That took care of it.
I'm seeing the same with the new 2.6.3-1.fc5.1 from FC5 updates-testing.
FYI - there is a patch available in this bug report on the GNOME bugzilla that
fixes this bug (at least for me it does):
I'll commit this right away for Rawhide, but I'm going to wait for upstream to
release 2.6.4 before sending it to Fedora Updates.
I recompiled the evolution-connector RPM with the patch added and it'd working
Correction to my previous statement:
It looks like the patch already made it into 2.7.91.
So Rawhide users should have this already.
Any chance this is going to make it into FC5-Updates?
(In reply to comment #10)
Once evolution-2.6.4 is released.
*** Bug 204802 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Created attachment 135315 [details]
SRPM with patch applied
This is the SRPM evolution-connector-2.6.3 with the patch at
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/attachment.cgi?id=70622&action=view applied. I don't
want to wait for 2.6.4, and besides, I fear what other bugs might be lurking
I would really appreciate a fix for this, using the patch from
It's a bit embarassing preaching Linux, only to have to restart my mail client
every five minutes to read "that e-mail I sent you".
See comment #6 - there is a fully working patch to solve this problem. If
you're having a problem compiling it, I can provide a ready-built RPM for x86_64
machines on request.
Or use my attached SRPM, it has the patch.
Thanks very much, I will.
Part of the motivation for adding the comment was to get the bug fixed for
Upstream has indicated that there are no more 2.6 releases planned for
evolution, so I've pushed the patch into FC5-Test-Updates.
Please try evolution-connector-2.6.3-2.fc5.
Thanks very much! Evolution-connector-2.6.3-2, in conjunction with
evolution-2.6.3-1, works well. Problem solved.
WFM too. If you asked me to report any oddities, I'd say the mail was delayed a
bit, but I expect this is normal. Thanks!
The delay is ~four minutes.
Closing per comment #19 and comment #20. Feel free to re-open this bug report
if you encounter the same problem in Fedora Core 6 or later.