Bug 196716 - Weird network stuff with 2.6.17-1.2139_FC5 / bcm43xx not working
Summary: Weird network stuff with 2.6.17-1.2139_FC5 / bcm43xx not working
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: kernel (Show other bugs)
(Show other bugs)
Version: 5
Hardware: i686 Linux
medium
medium
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Kernel Maintainer List
QA Contact: Brian Brock
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2006-06-26 17:41 UTC by M. Kristall
Modified: 2007-11-30 22:11 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2006-06-27 00:23:33 UTC
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description M. Kristall 2006-06-26 17:41:07 UTC
Description of problem:
Last night, I updated the kernel to 2.6.17-1.2139_FC5. As I always do, I
restarted to see if everything worked, it seemed to, so I removed the previous
kernel version. Today, my Broadcom 4306 wireless card cannot connect to my
wireless network.

After a few restarts, my wired ethernet device wasn't detected properly.
(ifplugd should be automatically connecting me to the network, so...) When I
typed ip addr as root, eth0 was not listed, but some other devid like eth1234
was. I couldn't connect that device to the network until I manually used
modprobe natsemi

There's some really weird stuff that started with my computer since last night
and for some reason, I think I'm the only one it's happening to :-/
As with bug 196536, I get the version 20/19 warning for wireless extension, but
I doubt that really has anything to do with my problems.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
2.6.17-1.2139_FC5

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Restart computer
2. List network devices
3. Bring up eth1, try to connect

Actual results:
eth0 is not listed (natsemi is not automatically loaded) and eth1 cannot connect
(but iwlist eth1 scan works fine)

Expected results:
natsemi should be automatically loaded
I should be able to connect to my wireless network

Additional info:
I used to use ndiswrapper way back in the FC3 and FC4 days, so I got pretty used
to strange issues with my wireless card, but was usually able to solve them
after several minutes; not this time.

(Now I'm going to try more stuff...)

Comment 1 M. Kristall 2006-06-26 19:55:31 UTC
I would have posted this earlier but for the wireless thing...
This last time I restarted, natsemi loaded automatically, eth0 showed up
properly, and it connected fine when connecting, so I think that was a temporary
fluke.

Comment 2 M. Kristall 2006-06-27 00:23:33 UTC
Okay, I figured it out. It was me being stupid, not a bug at all :-/ Sorry for
the spam.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.