This service will be undergoing maintenance at 00:00 UTC, 2016-08-01. It is expected to last about 1 hours
Bug 198245 - Review Request: gnome-libs
Review Request: gnome-libs
Status: CLOSED NEXTRELEASE
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: Package Review (Show other bugs)
rawhide
All Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Kevin Fenzi
Fedora Package Reviews List
:
Depends On: 198246 198247
Blocks: FE-ACCEPT 198244 198897 200399
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2006-07-10 11:28 EDT by Paul Howarth
Modified: 2010-07-09 14:03 EDT (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2006-09-14 03:27:51 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
kevin: fedora‑cvs+


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Paul Howarth 2006-07-10 11:28:33 EDT
Spec URL: http://www.city-fan.org/~paul/extras/Gnome-1/gnome-libs.spec
SRPM URL: http://www.city-fan.org/~paul/extras/Gnome-1/gnome-libs-1.4.2-1.src.rpm
Description:

The main GNOME1 libraries.

This package was removed from Core for FC6 and I am submitting it to Extras to support the people that still need it for legacy applications. I pulled the package from Core CVS and then tweaked it for Extras and to suit my own cosmetic preferences. I also updated it to the latest upstream version and removed patches that had been incorporated upstream. Reviewers may consider using rpmdiff to compare the built packages with the versions in Fedora Core 5.
Comment 1 Rex Dieter 2006-07-10 12:12:01 EDT
Since -devel has files in  %_datadir/aclocal, to avoid 
possible unowned dirs, it should:

Requires: automake
or 
Requires: %_datadir/aclocal

Comment 2 Paul Howarth 2006-07-10 13:35:47 EDT
(In reply to comment #1)
> Since -devel has files in  %_datadir/aclocal, to avoid 
> possible unowned dirs, it should:
> 
> Requires: automake
> or 
> Requires: %_datadir/aclocal

Fixed in -2:

Spec URL: http://www.city-fan.org/~paul/extras/Gnome-1/gnome-libs.spec
SRPM URL: http://www.city-fan.org/~paul/extras/Gnome-1/gnome-libs-1.4.2-2.src.rpm
Comment 3 Kevin Fenzi 2006-09-12 23:16:06 EDT
OK - Package name
OK - Spec file matches base package name.
OK - Meets Packaging Guidelines.
OK - License (LGPL)
OK - License field in spec matches
See below - License file included in package
OK - Spec in American English
OK - Spec is legible.
OK - Sources match upstream md5sum:
6111e91b143a90afb30f7a8c1e6cbbd6  gnome-libs-1.4.2.tar.bz2
6111e91b143a90afb30f7a8c1e6cbbd6  gnome-libs-1.4.2.tar.bz2.1
see below
OK - Package compiles and builds on at least one arch.
OK - BuildRequires correct
OK - Spec handles locales/find_lang
OK - Spec has needed ldconfig in post and postun
OK - Package owns all the directories it creates.
OK - Package has no duplicate files in %files.
OK - Package has %defattr and permissions on files is good.
OK - Package has a correct %clean section.
OK - Spec has consistant macro usage.
OK - Package is code or permissible content.
OK - Packages %doc files don't affect runtime.
OK - Headers/static libs in -devel subpackage.
OK - .so files in -devel subpackage.
OK - -devel package Requires: %{name} = %{version}-%{release}
OK - Package doesn't own any directories other packages own.
See below - No rpmlint output.

SHOULD Items:

See below - Should include License or ask upstream to include it.
OK - Should build in mock.

Issues:

1. You include COPYING as a %doc, but this package is released under
the LGPL. Should change that to the COPYING.LIB file instead.

2. Are there any upstream/full links for the other source files?
Source2:        gnome-libs-pofiles.tar.gz
Source3:        db.1.85.tar.gz
Source4:        utf8-ta.po

3. I assume that this package won't work with db4, and needs the
old db-1.85 thats included?

4. Is this needed, since extras doesn't ship on ia64?
## from db1
%ifnarch ia64
Conflicts:      glibc-devel < 2.1.90
%endif

5. rpmlint has (on fc6/i386):

W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc
W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.el
W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.eo
W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.he
W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.hy
W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.iso88592
W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.iso88595
W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.ja
W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/
gtkrc.ka_GE.georgianacademy
W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.ka_GE.georgianps
W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.ko
W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.ru
W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.th
W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.tr
W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.uk
W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.vi_VN.tcvn
W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.vi_VN.viscii
W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.zh_CN
W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.zh_TW.Big5
W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/mime-magic
W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/mime-magic.dat
W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/paper.config
W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/sound/events/gnome.soundlist
W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/sound/events/gtk-
events.soundlist

Perhaps these should all be (noreplace)?

E: gnome-libs non-standard-gid /usr/sbin/gnome-pty-helper utmp
E: gnome-libs setgid-binary /usr/sbin/gnome-pty-helper utmp 02755
E: gnome-libs non-standard-executable-perm /usr/sbin/gnome-pty-helper 02755
E: gnome-libs-devel only-non-binary-in-usr-lib
W: gnome-libs-devel no-documentation

Can be ignored I think.

on (fc6/x86_64):

E: gnome-libs binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/gconfigger ['/usr/lib64']
E: gnome-libs binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/gnome-dump-metadata ['/usr/
lib64']
E: gnome-libs binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/gnome-name-service ['/usr/
lib64']
E: gnome-libs binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/loadshlib ['/usr/lib64']
E: gnome-libs binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/gnome_segv ['/usr/lib64']
E: gnome-libs binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/gnome-gen-mimedb ['/usr/
lib64']
E: gnome-libs binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/gnome-moz-remote ['/usr/
lib64']
E: gnome-libs binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/goad-browser ['/usr/lib64']

Is there some way to remove the rpath?
Comment 4 Paul Howarth 2006-09-13 14:18:21 EDT
(In reply to comment #3)
> Issues:
> 
> 1. You include COPYING as a %doc, but this package is released under
> the LGPL. Should change that to the COPYING.LIB file instead.

Actually the libraries are LGPL but the support tools are GPL, so I've added
COPYING.LIB rather than replace COPYING.

> 2. Are there any upstream/full links for the other source files?
> Source2:        gnome-libs-pofiles.tar.gz
> Source3:        db.1.85.tar.gz
> Source4:        utf8-ta.po

I've added a full URL for db.1.85.tar.gz; the others appear only to exist in Red
Hat/Fedora CVS (probably created by the Red Hat maintainer at some point during
the package's long spell in Core), though I've added some comments about where
to find them.

> 3. I assume that this package won't work with db4, and needs the
> old db-1.85 thats included?

Gnome specifically uses db version 1.85 so that there's a consistent database
format across different platforms/distribution releases etc. So yes, db 1.85 is
needed.

> 4. Is this needed, since extras doesn't ship on ia64?
> ## from db1
> %ifnarch ia64
> Conflicts:      glibc-devel < 2.1.90
> %endif

Well, it doesn't stop us adding sparc support where needed, so I don't think
there's any harm in supporting ia64. However, since this is a package for FC6
onwards and the conflict is with a rather ancient glibc version, I removed it
anyway.

> 5. rpmlint has (on fc6/i386):
> 
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.el
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.eo
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.he
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.hy
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.iso88592
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.iso88595
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.ja
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/
> gtkrc.ka_GE.georgianacademy
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.ka_GE.georgianps
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.ko
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.ru
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.th
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.tr
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.uk
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.vi_VN.tcvn
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.vi_VN.viscii
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.zh_CN
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/gnome/gtkrc.zh_TW.Big5
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/mime-magic
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/mime-magic.dat
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/paper.config
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/sound/events/gnome.soundlist
> W: gnome-libs conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/sound/events/gtk-
> events.soundlist
> 
> Perhaps these should all be (noreplace)?

Debatable. gnome-libs has historically always been packaged without the
noreplace for these files. I'll change it if you insist though.

> E: gnome-libs non-standard-gid /usr/sbin/gnome-pty-helper utmp
> E: gnome-libs setgid-binary /usr/sbin/gnome-pty-helper utmp 02755
> E: gnome-libs non-standard-executable-perm /usr/sbin/gnome-pty-helper 02755
> E: gnome-libs-devel only-non-binary-in-usr-lib
> W: gnome-libs-devel no-documentation
> 
> Can be ignored I think.

Agreed.

> on (fc6/x86_64):
> 
> E: gnome-libs binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/gconfigger ['/usr/lib64']
> E: gnome-libs binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/gnome-dump-metadata ['/usr/
> lib64']
> E: gnome-libs binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/gnome-name-service ['/usr/
> lib64']
> E: gnome-libs binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/loadshlib ['/usr/lib64']
> E: gnome-libs binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/gnome_segv ['/usr/lib64']
> E: gnome-libs binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/gnome-gen-mimedb ['/usr/
> lib64']
> E: gnome-libs binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/gnome-moz-remote ['/usr/
> lib64']
> E: gnome-libs binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/goad-browser ['/usr/lib64']
> 
> Is there some way to remove the rpath?

I used the FC6 libtool instead of the bundled one and that seems to have fixed it.

Update packages:
Spec URL: http://www.city-fan.org/~paul/extras/Gnome-1/gnome-libs.spec
SRPM URL: http://www.city-fan.org/~paul/extras/Gnome-1/gnome-libs-1.4.2-3.src.rpm
Comment 5 Kevin Fenzi 2006-09-13 21:31:23 EDT
all good on 1-4. 
(db1 source md5sum matches upstream)

On item 5: 

>Debatable. gnome-libs has historically always been packaged without the
>noreplace for these files. I'll change it if you insist though.

I don't think thats a blocker... this package is unlikely to get much in the 
way of updates anyhow. 

The rpath issue looks to be all fixed up. 

I see no further blockers, so this package is APPROVED. 
Don't forget to close this package with NEXTRELEASE once it's been imported and 
built. 
Comment 6 Paul Howarth 2006-09-14 03:27:51 EDT
 17302 (gnome-libs): Build on target fedora-development-extras succeeded.
     Build logs may be found at
http://buildsys.fedoraproject.org/logs/fedora-development-extras/17302-gnome-libs-1.4.2-3.fc6/

owners.list updated.

Thanks for the review.
Comment 7 Paul Howarth 2010-07-09 06:34:26 EDT
Package Change Request
======================
Package Name: gnome-libs
New Branches: EL-6
Owners: pghmcfc

gnome-libs is wanted by the Fedora Astronomy group for the "spacechart" package.
Comment 8 Kevin Fenzi 2010-07-09 14:03:19 EDT
CVS done (by process-cvs-requests.py).

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.