Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 214227
Review Request: vala - A modern programming language for GNOME
Last modified: 2007-12-04 14:48:12 EST
Spec URL: http://hircus.org/fedora/vala/vala.spec
SRPM URL: http://hircus.org/fedora/vala/vala-0.0.5-1.src.rpm
Vala is a new programming language that aims to bring modern programming
language features to GNOME developers without imposing any additional
runtime requirements and without using a different ABI compared to
applications and libraries written in C.
valac, the Vala compiler, is a self-hosting compiler that translates
Vala source code into C source and header files. It uses the GObject
type system to create classes and interfaces declared in the Vala source
code. It's also planned to generate GIDL files when gobject-
introspection is ready.
The syntax of Vala is similar to C#, modified to better fit the GObject
* source files match upstream
* package meets naming and packaging guidelines.
* specfile is properly named, is cleanly written and uses macros consistently.
* dist tag is present.
* build root is correct.
* license field matches the actual license.
* license is open source-compatible. License text included in package.
* latest version is being packaged.
* BuildRequires are proper.
* compiler flags are appropriate.
* %clean is present.
* package builds in mock (development & fc6, i386).
* package installs properly. Sample code from home page builds and executes
* rpmlint has only acceptable complaints.
W: vala-devel no-documentation
* %check is not present; There is some test code in the distribution but no
framework to actually run the tests.
* shared libraries are present; ldconfig is called properly.
* owns the directories it creates.
* doesn't own any directories it shouldn't.
* no duplicates in %files.
* file permissions are appropriate.
* scriptlets are OK
* code, not content.
* documentation is small, so no -docs subpackage is necessary.
* %docs are not necessary for the proper functioning of the package.
* headers are in the -devel subpackage.
* unversioned .so file is in the -devel subpackage.
* pkconfig file in in the -devel subpackage
* no libtool .la droppings.
That's the fastest review I've ever seen - thanks
Package Change Request
Package Name: vala
New Branches: EL-5