Bug 218338 - Bad: Search text in workspace not working at all
Bad: Search text in workspace not working at all
Status: CLOSED DUPLICATE of bug 183698
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: eclipse-cdt (Show other bugs)
6
x86_64 Linux
medium Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Jeff Johnston
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2006-12-04 14:17 EST by Iftikhar
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:11 EST (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2006-12-04 16:39:21 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Iftikhar 2006-12-04 14:17:13 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20061011 Fedora/1.5.0.7-7.fc6 Firefox/1.5.0.7

Description of problem:
Bad: I have recently installed Fedora Core 6 on my system. I have installed the default eclipse available in it. I have made a Standard C Make Project. The projects is having some sub directories in it. And in sub directories there are C files. When I try to search some text in all files the search returns 0 matches found even when the text is actually present in file. For example i have hilited text of function main and choose Search->Text->Workspace on it says 0 matches found. I have tried other options like File Search, C/C++ Search etc. but no method is giving any results infact some shows internal errors.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
eclipse cdt Version: 3.1.1.200609291545 Build id: 200609291545

How reproducible:
Always


Steps to Reproduce:
1.Select any text in your Standard C Make Project
2.Go to menu option Search->Text->Workspace
3.It will give 0 matches
Similar for all File Search. C/C++ Search. Even with different options like only definitions, Any Element it gives 0 matches found.

Actual Results:
0 matches found for any text search.

Expected Results:
The selected text should be found and a list is shown having references to each occurence of text in the workspace.

Additional info:
Comment 1 Jeff Johnston 2006-12-04 16:39:21 EST
This problem is a duplicate of 183698.  There is a bug in classpath whereby the
Matcher.reset() operation does not work properly.  Internal code in the CDT uses
this during refactoring "and" also for searches.  The result of the bug is that
the list of applicable files to look at for renaming or searching ends up being
the empty list.  A patch has been posted to gcc for the Classpath bug.  A
forth-coming gcc update will contain this fix.

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 183698 ***
Comment 2 Jeff Johnston 2006-12-04 17:34:41 EST
Addendum: I should have mentioned that this will probably work with one of the
proprietary JVMs.
Comment 3 Iftikhar 2006-12-05 13:30:05 EST
As you have mentioned that it was a bug in GCC classpath package. And as you
told that it is already reported to gcc team at
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=29703

I go to the above mention bug report and found that it is abug in classpath
version 0.92. On this bug
report(http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=29703) a mechanism to fix
this bug was also provided at
(http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/classpath/java/util/regex/Matcher.java?cvsroot=classpath&r1=1.18&r2=1.19)
so I got original version 0.92 of classpath modified the code as specified in
the fix (Note: I have not done the Change Log modification part). After that i
built and installed classpath. But after that I found that issues are still
there and nothing new has happened. Also I need to add more to the issue it is
also giving runtime crash Internal error when try to do C\C++ Search in whole
workspace. I might have done something wrong while doing this work so please do
not think that I am telling something perfect or solid.
Comment 4 Iftikhar 2006-12-05 13:34:09 EST
I need that add more that Internal Crash error was occuring even before
installing the new classpath package. When I look at the error log it shows
somethig like the below for the Internal Crash part of issue.

!MESSAGE An internal error occurred during: "Find references to expr in Workspace".
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at
org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.pdom.dom.PDOMMemberOwner.accept(org.eclipse.cdt.core_3.1.1.200609291545.jar.so)
   at
org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.pdom.dom.PDOMLinkage$1.visit(org.eclipse.cdt.core_3.1.1.200609291545.jar.so)
   at
org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.pdom.db.BTree.accept(org.eclipse.cdt.core_3.1.1.200609291545.jar.so)
   at
org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.pdom.db.BTree.accept(org.eclipse.cdt.core_3.1.1.200609291545.jar.so)
   at
org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.pdom.db.BTree.accept(org.eclipse.cdt.core_3.1.1.200609291545.jar.so)
   at
org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.pdom.db.BTree.accept(org.eclipse.cdt.core_3.1.1.200609291545.jar.so)
   at
org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.pdom.dom.PDOMLinkage.accept(org.eclipse.cdt.core_3.1.1.200609291545.jar.so)
   at
org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.pdom.PDOM.findBindings(org.eclipse.cdt.core_3.1.1.200609291545.jar.so)
   at
org.eclipse.cdt.internal.ui.search.PDOMSearchPatternQuery.searchProject(org.eclipse.cdt.ui_3.1.1.200609291545.jar.so)
   at
org.eclipse.cdt.internal.ui.search.PDOMSearchPatternQuery.run(org.eclipse.cdt.ui_3.1.1.200609291545.jar.so)
   at
org.eclipse.search2.internal.ui.InternalSearchUI$InternalSearchJob.run(org.eclipse.search_3.2.1.r321_v20060726.jar.so)
   at
org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(org.eclipse.core.jobs_3.2.0.v20060603.jar.so)
Comment 5 Jeff Johnston 2006-12-12 17:22:11 EST
I will do a build for x86_64.  I had an i386 build with patch which worked fine.
 My guess is this  is a separate problem.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.