Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 22760
[GUI] Changing keyboard configuration doesn't work
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:30:19 EDT
Changing the keyboard configuration (language/dead keys) fails with 'Error
loading new keyboard description' (shown on the console).
What language and keyboard layout did you select?
I tried this:
1. Selecting "German" as language (screen 1), pressing 'Next' (all with mouse)
(2. Pressing 'y' - Key on German keyboard ('z' on English one) in the testfield:
3. "Deadkeys deaktivieren" (deactivating deadkeys in 3rd field of screen 2)
(4. Pressing 'y' - Key on German keyboard ('z' on English one) in the testfield:
5. Choosing "U.S. English w/ deadkeys" (2nd field)
(6. Pressing 'y' - Key on German keyboard ('z' on English one) in the testfield:
7. Further changes of keyboard will fail
The installer calls a program called setxkbmap to set the keymap for the
currently running X session. The problem is that there's a pretty significant
bug in setxkbmap. If you call setxkbmap with the "-variant nodeadkeys" option
(which the installer does when you select any keyboard with the nodeadkeys
option enabled) then subsequent attempts to use a keymap such as "us" fail.
However, changing to some keymaps such as fr (French) seem to work.
Changing component to XFree86.
This defect is considered MUST-FIX for Florence Gold release
Are people still having a problem with this in the 4.0.2-11.4.0 release?
*** Bug 28277 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Bug #28277 has been unmarked as a dupe because it is a public bug and
the poster of it cannot read this private bug report, so instead I made
it dependant on this bug. Never did that before, hope I understand the
Fixed in rawhide anaconda. Problem was misuse of setxkbmap in installer.
Seen in Fairfax beta1 again...
This is not an XFree86 problem. setxkbmap only does what it is told to do.
Has this code regressed?
Code got lost in merging a branch. I've re-integrated the fix into CVS HEAD.
Please reopen if this remains a problem in Fairfax beta3