Bug 243077 - Opps, sealert hit an error! on GNOME login
Opps, sealert hit an error! on GNOME login
Status: CLOSED DUPLICATE of bug 241739
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: setroubleshoot (Show other bugs)
7
i686 Linux
low Severity low
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: John Dennis
Ben Levenson
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2007-06-07 03:37 EDT by Mykola Lyakhovych
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:12 EST (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2007-06-11 09:56:13 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
error message (112.73 KB, text/plain)
2007-06-07 03:37 EDT, Mykola Lyakhovych
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description Mykola Lyakhovych 2007-06-07 03:37:03 EDT
Description of problem:
Sealert widow pop-up with error message when I log into GNOME-session.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
selinux-policy-targeted-2.6.4-8.fc7
selinux-policy-2.6.4-8.fc7
setroubleshoot-server-1.9.4-2.fc7
setroubleshoot-1.9.4-2.fc7



How reproducible:
Always. The same with mothers and sisters accounts.


Steps to Reproduce:
1. Log into GNOME session.
2.
3.
  
Actual results:


Expected results:


Additional info:
Sometimes this window "hangs" and closing it requires confirmation.
System is new installed, no rpmnew files in /etc.
Comment 1 Mykola Lyakhovych 2007-06-07 03:37:03 EDT
Created attachment 156432 [details]
error message
Comment 2 William Lovaton 2007-06-07 16:04:19 EDT
I have the very same problem on both of my PCs after installing (one Intel
Celeron and one AMD Athlon XP).  This is very annoying because it used to work
fine on the LiveCD.

I have the same libraries and versions as the reporter plus this ones:
libselinux-2.0.13-1.fc7
libselinux-python-2.0.13-1.fc7

I think the severity should be at least medium because this is very annoying and
it prevents me from using SELinux in a reliable manner.  I used to disable
SELinux in the past but now I want to use it and sealert is preventing me from
doing it.  I really want to use this tool.

Please fix this bug.
Comment 3 William Lovaton 2007-06-08 12:38:07 EDT
Guys, I think I know what is happening: sealert has problems with non english
locales.

Mykola, if you try switching your language to English USA for a moment and then
try running sealert -b or clicking sealert in System -> Administration.  Does it
work for you?  do you have huge error messages in /var/log/messages.

In my case I am using the Spanish (Colombia) locale and I get the following in
/var/log/messages:
setroubleshoot: [rpc.ERROR] exception UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't
encode character u'\xed' in position 20: ordinal not in range(128) Traceback
(most recent call last):   File
"/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/setroubleshoot/rpc.py", line 780, in
handle_client_io

There is a huge amount of this logs every time I try to run sealert -s to start
the service. Usually relating to a broken pipe

Daniel, Can you try using a different locale on your desktop?? It should fail.
Comment 4 John Dennis 2007-06-11 09:56:13 EDT
Yes, this is a known bug related to the handling of i18n translations. It has
been reported in a few other bug reports under different names, but it's all due
to the same problem. The problem is equally shared between setroubleshootd and
sealert. I have implemented a fix and I'm in the process of testing it before
releasing it. In the meantime you can disable setrobleshoot with 'chkconfig
setroublehshoot off', don't forget to reenable it after you install the new RPM.
The only other option is to change your system language to somethng which can be
encoded in ascii, but I suspect you wouldn't want to do that globally, for the
time being easier to disable the problem tool. I'm going to mark this as a
duplicate of the bug currently acting as the lead bug for this issue.

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 241739 ***
Comment 5 William Lovaton 2007-06-12 11:56:47 EDT
Well, yes, I changed the language of my system to english so I can get used to
working with SELinux.  I am in the process of setting up an Oracle 10g Database
system on Fedora 7 and so far so good.

As soon as you release an update I will test it switching back to spanish.

Thanks.
Comment 6 John Dennis 2007-06-12 18:15:30 EDT
Please see bug #241739 for update fix.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.