Bug 248943 - /net does not seem to work with 5.0.1-19 or 5.0.2-6
/net does not seem to work with 5.0.1-19 or 5.0.2-6
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: autofs (Show other bugs)
7
All Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Ian Kent
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks: 333831
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2007-07-19 14:46 EDT by Peter Staubach
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:12 EST (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version: 5.0.1-20
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2007-07-20 15:37:12 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
Patch to correct handling of quoted slash alone (445 bytes, patch)
2007-07-20 10:50 EDT, Ian Kent
no flags Details | Diff

  None (edit)
Description Peter Staubach 2007-07-19 14:46:15 EDT
I have a Fedora 7 system installed and am trying to run the 2.6.22.1-23
kernel from FC-6.  I discovered that automount seems to loop constantly.
This would seem to be bz247711.  The solution posted there was to try
the autofs-5.0.1-19 rpm.

In my research and trying to resolve the problem, I tried the 5.0.1-19
and 5.0.2-6 rpms.  I think that they resolve the automount looping
issue, but then I discovered that /net no longer worked.

To reproduce this, install F-7 with the latest released kernel and then
upgrade autofs to either 5.0.1-19 or 5.0.2-6 and then try to access an
known good NFS server.

I got ENOENT when trying to do this.  I used tethereal to watch the
traffic between the client and the server and I could see the MOUNT
EXPORT call being made and responded to, but then nothing got mounted
on the client.
Comment 1 Ian Kent 2007-07-19 23:29:59 EDT
(In reply to comment #0)
> I have a Fedora 7 system installed and am trying to run the 2.6.22.1-23
> kernel from FC-6.  I discovered that automount seems to loop constantly.
> This would seem to be bz247711.  The solution posted there was to try
> the autofs-5.0.1-19 rpm.
> 
> In my research and trying to resolve the problem, I tried the 5.0.1-19
> and 5.0.2-6 rpms.  I think that they resolve the automount looping
> issue, but then I discovered that /net no longer worked.
> 
> To reproduce this, install F-7 with the latest released kernel and then
> upgrade autofs to either 5.0.1-19 or 5.0.2-6 and then try to access an
> known good NFS server.
> 
> I got ENOENT when trying to do this.  I used tethereal to watch the
> traffic between the client and the server and I could see the MOUNT
> EXPORT call being made and responded to, but then nothing got mounted
> on the client.

OK, appears to be OK with 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7.
I'll grab a 2.6.22 kernel and see if I can duplicate
the problem.

Ian
Comment 2 CHIKAMA Masaki 2007-07-20 02:47:20 EDT
May be a nfs server problem?
I have a similar but strange problem.

My problem is this.
A nfs server exports some directories, but automount can found only 
a part of it when parseing /net/(something)

The server which has the probrem is CentOS4.5.
Fedora7 server seems to work fine.

Of course, it works fine when mounting by hand the server Centos4.5.
Comment 3 CHIKAMA Masaki 2007-07-20 04:27:28 EDT
I found that it is the nfs server problem in my case.
'showmount -e' reportED different result between CentOS4.5 and F7.

While I was editing /etc/exports and re-exporting to find the condition 
of the probelm happens, suddenly 'swhomount -e' reports correctly and
I can't reproduce the problem anymore.
Comment 4 Peter Staubach 2007-07-20 07:50:38 EDT
This is not a server problem for me.  The data going over the wire in
the MOUNT EXPORT call is fine and the server works fine for other clients.
Comment 5 Peter Staubach 2007-07-20 08:55:27 EDT
I've now tested autofs-5.0.1-18 with kernel-2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 and /net
does not work there either.  These are the latest rpms available for
a F-7 i686 system.
Comment 6 Ian Kent 2007-07-20 09:01:40 EDT
(In reply to comment #5)
> I've now tested autofs-5.0.1-18 with kernel-2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 and /net
> does not work there either.  These are the latest rpms available for
> a F-7 i686 system.

I have two F7 systems here both have been using
kernel-2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 for some time.

I haven't been able to reproduce this so far.
I'll re-check everything and try again.

Ian
Comment 7 Peter Staubach 2007-07-20 09:06:40 EDT
I don't know what to say.  autofs-5.0.1-18 just became available
this morning via "yum update" in Westford.  I let yum update the
rpm and then rebooted.  After reboot, I couldn't access a known
good, working server via /net.
Comment 8 Ian Kent 2007-07-20 09:23:57 EDT
(In reply to comment #7)
> I don't know what to say.  autofs-5.0.1-18 just became available
> this morning via "yum update" in Westford.  I let yum update the
> rpm and then rebooted.  After reboot, I couldn't access a known
> good, working server via /net.

Yep .. it is strange.

I downloaded revision 18 from a mirror instead of building
locally and I'm still not able to see the problem on either
my x86_64 or i396 systems.

How about posting the output of "showmount -e" and I'll setup
my NFS server to be similar.

Ian

Comment 9 Peter Staubach 2007-07-20 09:32:07 EDT
The server in question has two exported file systems, / and /usr/src.

The output from "showmount -e" looks like:

    Export list for nyday:
    /        *
    /usr/src *

Just for grins, these file systems are exported via:

    /               *(ro,sync,fsid=0)
    /usr/src        *(rw,sync,nohide,no_root_squash)

Which makes them available for all versions of NFS.
Comment 10 Ian Kent 2007-07-20 09:41:14 EDT
(In reply to comment #9)
> The server in question has two exported file systems, / and /usr/src.
> 
> The output from "showmount -e" looks like:
> 
>     Export list for nyday:
>     /        *
>     /usr/src *
> 
> Just for grins, these file systems are exported via:
> 
>     /               *(ro,sync,fsid=0)
>     /usr/src        *(rw,sync,nohide,no_root_squash)
> 
> Which makes them available for all versions of NFS.

Ha .. duplicated the problem.
I'll keep working on it, sorry for the inconvenience.

Ian
Comment 11 Ian Kent 2007-07-20 10:47:29 EDT
Think I've found the problem.
I recently had a bug where autofs didn't handle spaces
in exports for the "-hosts" map. To solve it I just quoted
entries in the export and passed it on "knowing" the parser
would deal with the quoting. But I didn't count on getting
caught by a test which is supposed to remove a trailing "/"
from a path. It turned "/" into NULL after the quote removal.

Ian
Comment 12 Ian Kent 2007-07-20 10:50:56 EDT
Created attachment 159658 [details]
Patch to correct handling of quoted slash alone

fyi, this is the patch I think will fix this.
I'll commit this to F-7 and devel soon as I can.

Ian
Comment 13 Peter Staubach 2007-07-20 10:58:01 EDT
Thanx for jumping on this so quickly, Ian.  It is much appreciated.
Comment 14 Ian Kent 2007-07-20 11:06:27 EDT
Ahh .. but wait, it looks like there's something else I missed
in another bug fix. I'll keep working on it.

Ian
Comment 15 Peter Staubach 2007-07-20 11:09:38 EDT
I've "upgraded" back to the original autofs-5.0.1-9 which came with
F-7 so that I could get functional again.  I'd like to run the newer
code though, so...

Waiting on pins and needles...  :-)
Comment 16 Ian Kent 2007-07-20 11:28:03 EDT
(In reply to comment #14)
> Ahh .. but wait, it looks like there's something else I missed
> in another bug fix. I'll keep working on it.


Phew, false alarm.

I used to have /usr/src on a separate filesystem on my test
NFS server. I forgot I changed it to /usr (not exported) and
autofs quite rightly return EACCES when it tried to mount
/usr/src.

I'll go ahead with the commit of this change.

Ian
Comment 17 Fedora Update System 2007-07-20 15:37:08 EDT
autofs-5.0.1-20 has been pushed to the Fedora 7 stable repository.  If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.