From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.76 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.4.1 i686)
During the graphical installation the language selection screen appeared
but the mouse pointer wouldn't move and the keyboard didn't work either. I
had to reset the machine. The graphics card is a GeForge2 GTS, Abit KA7-100
motherboard. There was no traceback I could see (there may well have been
one on a text console but I couldn't switch modes to see).
Reproducible: Didn't try I'll try again this evening
This sounds like an old problem from before. On my laptop when installing
in TEXT mode the keyboard would lock. If I suspended the machine using the
hardwired keys and then bought it back, the keyboard is unlocked. All was ok.
I forget who worked on this, but it had something to do with the read of
the keyboard or mouse locking the keyboard.
I don't have this problem any more because it was fixed a few releases ago.
I am not sure if this is the root cause but it sound exactly the same.
We (Red Hat) should really fix this before the next release.
Having run the installation again this evening, I think this is another
manifestation of the problem with some USB mice.
I've had USB problems on 7.0 with 2.4 kernels, having to switch between the
uhci and usb-uhci drivers. This is a KA7-100 motherboard, KX133 chipset,
Logitech MouseMan Wheel USB mouse. Perhaps the installer could try with both
modules? As someone else pointed out, the mouse was detected as a PS/2 during
installation. So, I think this bug relates to bug 25633.
There is a known problem with probing USB mice in the Fisher beta, but it should
not have locked up the keyboard.
Unable to duplicate here - if you try a different type of USB mouse do you still
have this problem?
Unfortunately I only have the Logitech here. I'll see if there's one at work I
can borrow but I think they're all PS/2. Indeed this mouse works if I use the
I'll also try with the updated image as I noticed that I get the "can't open
/dev/fb0" message, although I got that with the mouse using the PS/2 adapter and
there wasn't any problem.
Last night, I added two entries to the mouse list...one for the Logitech USB
wheel mouse and one for USB Microsoft Intellimouse. I did an install with the
Logitech USB mouse attached and everything went fine. I think this issue has
been resolved in the latest trees. I can't say exactly what the problem was...I
think that the latest kernel builds handle USB devices much better than the
Fisher kernel did. Brock, please verify. I have a Logitech USB Wheel mouse you