The installer couldn't mount my hard disk filesystems, so I
had to do them by hand.
The root filesystem is on hda1, and most of the other
filesystems are one sda1 (/usr, /usr/lib, /usr/src, /opt,
I have some additional partitions on my SCSI drive that are
not currently in use, but the installer tried to mount them,
and didn't like the fact they did not have any file system
I was running RedHat GNU/Linux 5.2 before with kernel-2.2.7
that I compiled and installed by hand, along with the
requisite RPM's for the 2.2.x kernel family. I can provide a
list of the before and after RPM list, the upgrade.log file,
and my fstab if you'd like.
I upgraded via a local CD-ROM drive (hdc), which I know from
previous upgrades that I have to mention as a boot param
(expert hdc=cdrom). The new system version is "Linux version
2.2.5-15 (firstname.lastname@example.org) (gcc version
egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #1 Mon Apr
19 22:21:09 EDT 1999"
I've been hacking *nix for going on 15 years, and I do
sometimes working directly on admin files with command
prompts or by hand. This might be the source of the
problems. I did replace the fstab file with a copy without
my commented out entries, but it made no difference.)
I did finally get the upgrade done by mknod, fsck and
mounting all the partitions by hand and skipping the "Find
current installation" step.
I apologize for not providing full details. Validation is my
day job, and I need to get back to that rather than play
around with my O/S.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 2504 ***