Description of problem:
Galeon fails to compile against XUL Runner (gecko-libs 1.9).
XULRunner will be a gecko-lib provider in Fedora 9 (instead of Firefox) and all
gecko-based applications should use it. (see
Upstream (Philip Langdale) promised to take a crack at it :-)
That's great. I'm juts trying compile it at least but the patch is ~ 30KB big
and still growing :)
From Philip Langdale:
"1.9 is still [not usable] as far as I can tell. You can't
write a password manager without hacking the mozilla build to export
the nsIPassword interface. There are some misc small problems (and
apparently a whole set of NSS dialogs has disappeared) but the
big one is a change in how the string classes are exported. I'm not
sure how to tackle that just yet."
So don't throw away your 30K patch just yet :-)
> "1.9 is still [not usable] as far as I can tell. You can't
> write a password manager without hacking the mozilla build to export
> the nsIPassword interface.
Yes, that's right, fedora xulrunner doesn't export it now.
> There are some misc small problems (and
> apparently a whole set of NSS dialogs has disappeared)
It looks like the NSS dialogs are still present but the callback structure has
been changed. Could be related to nss 3.12, I hope it will be fixed with the
stable nss version.
> but the
> big one is a change in how the string classes are exported. I'm not
> sure how to tackle that just yet."
This is relative small problem. Strings are quite well documented at
and the biggest problem I hit is missing nsEscape.h.
Created attachment 275751 [details]
firts minimal patch
With this patch, galeon compiles and runs (at web pages are loaded and rendered
:)) Some parts need to be polished / updated but I think it's a good start.
galeon now fails to rebuild against recent xulrunner:
I tried update the BuildRequires: gecko-devel -> gecko-devel-unstable as per
epiphany package, but that appears to not be sufficient.
The list of xulrunner packages that have slipped back into the "failed rebuild"
in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureXULRunner since
December/January is alarming.
I don't know whether this bug should be assigned to the current assignee or
reporter ;-), but certainly there is nothing to bug triage here.
I won't have time to work on this for at least another week unfortunately, and
even that my experience with Mozilla code is limited...
*** Bug 434058 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Same problem after upgrading to galeon-2.0.5. :(
I updated the patch for 2.0.5, it now compiles on F-9.
However, galeon is still completely unusable for me: all fonts have gigantic
sizes and images appear distorted, much the same as epiphany. I'll do some BZ
research before opening another bug.
For the record: the font size problem is a virtual machine related problem,
where the VM doesn't report the screen physical size properly. Unfortunately
about:config is broken so it's hard to fix galeon's behavior in that scenario.
On a non-VM system, galeon works good! There are still some glitches, but
reasonably minor things that will get ironed out over time.