Bug 430629 - Most flash video sites don't work with swfdec as flash plugin
Most flash video sites don't work with swfdec as flash plugin
Status: CLOSED WONTFIX
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: nspluginwrapper (Show other bugs)
11
All Linux
low Severity low
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Martin Stransky
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2008-01-29 01:29 EST by Valent Turkovic
Modified: 2010-03-07 17:08 EST (History)
8 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2010-03-07 17:08:58 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Valent Turkovic 2008-01-29 01:29:12 EST
Description of problem:
Go to any of the sites listed and try any video because they all behave the same.

http://www.fedoratv.com - looks like it will start but it doesn't,
just shows "buffering"
http://www.ted.com - front page isn't rendered correctly, individual
videos just don't start
http://www.youtube.com/ - you need to click on video in order to see
controls but it works ok!
http://www.blip.tv - frontpage video works but other videos I click I
see totem plugin loading instead of swfdec
http://video.google.com/ - audio plays with black video screen
http://www.redtube.com NSFW - videos don't play (looks also like buffering)
http://www.metacafe.com - videos play but are wrong dimension,
sometimes with full width but only 2 pixels high?!?
http://www.videojug.com - totem plugin starts instead of swfdec ?!?
http://sclipo.com/ - doesn't work
http://www.dailymotion.com - works great
http://crackle.com - after click nothing happens, not even video
player controls show up
http://www.revver.com - video plays but video is smaller that it should be
http://www.veoh.com/ - video plays but "loading" message that shows
buffering stays overlayed over the video the whole time
http://video.msn.com - doesn't play video


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:


Steps to Reproduce:
1.
2.
3.
  
Actual results:


Expected results:


Additional info:
Comment 1 Joachim Frieben 2008-02-09 11:14:21 EST
On a current x86_64 "rawhide" system, any Flash animated web page simply
exhibits a grey rectangle instead of the animation. In my case, this even
applies to simple animations or Adobe's official Falsh test page.
However, "about:plugins" definitely reports Flash support for the epiphany
browser that I am using. Installed packages:

 - epiphany-2.21.90-0.1.svn7856.fc9
 - nspluginwrapper-0.9.91.5-21.fc9
 - swfdec-mozilla-0.5.90-2.fc9
 - xulrunner-1.9-0.beta2.11.nightly20080115.fc9 [last working package]
Comment 2 Brian Pepple 2008-02-09 12:12:05 EST
(In reply to comment #1)
> On a current x86_64 "rawhide" system, any Flash animated web page simply
> exhibits a grey rectangle instead of the animation. In my case, this even
> applies to simple animations or Adobe's official Falsh test page.
> However, "about:plugins" definitely reports Flash support for the epiphany
> browser that I am using. Installed packages:
> 
>  - epiphany-2.21.90-0.1.svn7856.fc9
>  - nspluginwrapper-0.9.91.5-21.fc9
>  - swfdec-mozilla-0.5.90-2.fc9
>  - xulrunner-1.9-0.beta2.11.nightly20080115.fc9 [last working package]

Do you have gstreamer-ffmpeg installed?
Comment 3 Joachim Frieben 2008-02-09 12:26:04 EST
No, gstreamer-ffmpeg is not installed but why would it when it's not
even part of "rawhide" whereas swfdec-mozilla is? Accordingly, it's
not a package that swfdec-mozilla depends on.
Comment 4 Brian Pepple 2008-02-09 12:31:07 EST
(In reply to comment #3)
> No, gstreamer-ffmpeg is not installed but why would it when it's not
> even part of "rawhide" whereas swfdec-mozilla is? Accordingly, it's
> not a package that swfdec-mozilla depends on.

swfdec uses gstreamer (just like totem, rhythmbox, etc), and not all the
gstreamer-plugins can be included in Fedora due to patent issues.
Comment 5 Joachim Frieben 2008-02-09 12:50:20 EST
(In reply to comment #4)
> swfdec uses gstreamer (just like totem, rhythmbox, etc), and not all the
> gstreamer-plugins can be included in Fedora due to patent issues.

If swfdec-mozilla needs non-free 3rd party packages in order to provide
even basic functionality, then it has to be removed from Fedora and moved
to that 3rd party repository.
The current gnash-plugin package allows at least to view simple Flash
animations without sound like animated ads.
Comment 6 Valent Turkovic 2008-02-09 13:00:07 EST
+1
Comment 7 Brian Pepple 2008-02-09 13:54:09 EST
(In reply to comment #5)
> If swfdec-mozilla needs non-free 3rd party packages in order to provide
> even basic functionality, then it has to be removed from Fedora and moved
> to that 3rd party repository.

By that line of thinking we would also remove totem & rhythmbox.  swfdec meets
the requirements for entry into Fedora, and will not be leaving Fedora while it
does.

Comment 8 Joachim Frieben 2008-02-09 14:54:43 EST
(In reply to comment #7)
> By that line of thinking we would also remove totem & rhythmbox. swfdec
> meets the requirements for entry into Fedora, and will not be leaving
> Fedora while it does.

Your reasoning is entirely wrong: totem & rhythmbox are actually usable
for playing -open- formats out of the box, and this is what they were
intended for in the first place. Of course, adding proprietary codecs
allows to extend the range of supported formats even further. In the
Flash case, the situation is obviously different since it's supposed to
play a single format: Flash. If this does not even work in the simplest
cases without adding proprietary components from external repositories,
then we do have a problem.
Btw, I cannot believe that ffmpeg support is necessary to play even the
simplest Flash animation with swfdec when gnash is able to do it without,
so maybe it's time to return to a more problem oriented discussion about
why on my system any Flash animation only shows up as a grey rectangle.
Afer all it's you who came up with this rather misleading ffmpeg issue.
Given that swfdec has reached bet status, I would expect it to do better
but I haven't used it before.
Comment 9 Brian Pepple 2008-02-09 15:15:21 EST
(In reply to comment #8)
> Your reasoning is entirely wrong: totem & rhythmbox are actually usable
> for playing -open- formats out of the box, and this is what they were
> intended for in the first place. Of course, adding proprietary codecs
> allows to extend the range of supported formats even further. In the
> Flash case, the situation is obviously different since it's supposed to
> play a single format: Flash. If this does not even work in the simplest
> cases without adding proprietary components from external repositories,
> then we do have a problem.
>
> Btw, I cannot believe that ffmpeg support is necessary to play even the
> simplest Flash animation with swfdec when gnash is able to do it without,
> so maybe it's time to return to a more problem oriented discussion about
> why on my system any Flash animation only shows up as a grey rectangle.
> Afer all it's you who came up with this rather misleading ffmpeg issue.
> Given that swfdec has reached bet status, I would expect it to do better
> but I haven't used it before.

swfdec does work with simple flash, for example
http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/tennis/tennis.html.  gstreamer-ffmpeg is
necessary to play flash video for things like youtube.

Please in the future, if you haven't actually used the software, or know what
your talking about, refrain from spamming bugzilla.

Comment 10 Joachim Frieben 2008-02-09 15:59:24 EST
(In reply to comment #9)
> Please in the future, if you haven't actually used the software, or know
> what your talking about, refrain from spamming bugzilla.

Thanks for being so helpful. According to comment #1, I obviously -had-
used swfdec-mozilla before posting my observation. Btw, I do very well
know what I am talking about. With a M.Sc. in physics and almost 20 years
of Unix experience and scientific computing, this should not even come as
a surprise. I only wonder what qualifies -you- to bully other Fedora
users. In the meantime, I have located the issue which led to the flash
problem reported in comment #1: due to bug 427369, I currently have to
copy plugins to my local .mozilla/plugins. Otherwise, no plugins other
than libnullplugin.so and libunixprintplugin.so get recognized. This
procedure used to work for libgnashplugin.so and other plugins, and in
order to try out swfdec, I had copied libswfdecmozilla.so to
.mozilla/plugins after removing libgnashplugin.so. After doing so, any
flash animation simply showed up as a grey rectangle. What did the trick
was not to -copy- libswfdecmozilla.so to .mozilla/plugins but to create
a symbolic link instead.
After this change, http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome renders the
test animation as expected. SELinux framework is enabled but in used in
permissive mode.
Comment 11 Brian Pepple 2008-02-09 16:12:40 EST
(In reply to comment #10)
> Thanks for being so helpful. According to comment #1, I obviously -had-
> used swfdec-mozilla before posting my observation. Btw, I do very well
> know what I am talking about. With a M.Sc. in physics and almost 20 years
> of Unix experience and scientific computing, this should not even come as
> a surprise. I only wonder what qualifies -you- to bully other Fedora
> users.

Then why write the following in comment #8?: "Given that swfdec has reached bet
status, I would expect it to do better but I haven't used it before." 
Truthfully, I don't want to know, since this is a bug report, and not a mailing
list, and I have *zero* interest in getting in a flame-war.
Comment 12 Brian Pepple 2008-03-26 19:47:38 EDT
(In reply to comment #0)
> http://www.fedoratv.com - looks like it will start but it doesn't,
> just shows "buffering"

Works w/ swfdec-mozilla-0.6.0-1

> http://www.ted.com - front page isn't rendered correctly, individual
> videos just don't start

This one still doesn't work.

> http://www.youtube.com/ - you need to click on video in order to see
> controls but it works ok!

Still works fine.

> http://www.blip.tv - frontpage video works but other videos I click I
> see totem plugin loading instead of swfdec

Haven't experienced this with swfdec-mozilla-0.6.0, everything seems to work fine.

> http://video.google.com/ - audio plays with black video screen

Work fine here w/swfdec-mozilla-0.6.0.

> http://www.redtube.com NSFW - videos don't play (looks also like buffering)

Don't really care if this works or not. ;)

> http://www.metacafe.com - videos play but are wrong dimension,
> sometimes with full width but only 2 pixels high?!?

Not experiencing this w/swfdec-mozilla-0.6.0

> http://www.videojug.com - totem plugin starts instead of swfdec ?!?

Not seeing the totem-plugin being started, but swfdec doesn't appear able to
play the videos from this site.

> http://sclipo.com/ - doesn't work

Still doesn't play

> http://crackle.com - after click nothing happens, not even video
> player controls show up

Still doesn't play.

> http://www.revver.com - video plays but video is smaller that it should be

Doesn't play

> http://www.veoh.com/ - video plays but "loading" message that shows
> buffering stays overlayed over the video the whole time

Doesn't play.

> http://video.msn.com - doesn't play video

Still doesn't play.
Comment 13 Valent Turkovic 2008-04-07 10:29:29 EDT
(In reply to comment #12)
> (In reply to comment #0)
> > http://www.fedoratv.com - looks like it will start but it doesn't,
> > just shows "buffering"
> 
> Works w/ swfdec-mozilla-0.6.0-1
> 
> > http://www.ted.com - front page isn't rendered correctly, individual
> > videos just don't start
> 
> This one still doesn't work.
> 
> > http://www.youtube.com/ - you need to click on video in order to see
> > controls but it works ok!
> 
> Still works fine.

I would be careful when saying thing like that, because controls don't work and
they didn't work. So video playback is nice but that is not full functionality
of youtube site and other video sites as well.
Comment 14 Valent Turkovic 2008-04-07 15:56:16 EDT
also there are issues with more videos on one page likw this one "Top 10 Linux
Commercials":
http://www.prestigemarketinggroup.net/ideas/top-10-linux-commercials.html?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=1&Itemid=2

I can see 1-2 videos before all videos freeze and I need to reload a page. All
videos are from youtube.
Comment 15 Bug Zapper 2008-05-14 00:55:01 EDT
Changing version to '9' as part of upcoming Fedora 9 GA.
More information and reason for this action is here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/HouseKeeping
Comment 16 Matěj Cepl 2008-07-29 19:47:01 EDT
OK, guys, enjoy this bug (which IMHO should be sent long time ago upstream), but
not as NEW :-).
Comment 17 Martin Nagy 2008-08-13 04:47:40 EDT
I'm seeing this behaviour as well unfortunately.. When trying to play http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/tennis/tennis.html the swfdec apparently crashes and I see this in my .xsession-errors:

Unsupported movie property menu with value "false"
Unsupported movie property wmode with value "opaque"
Unsupported movie property quality with value "high"
Unsupported movie property pluginspage with value "http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
unhandled event 19
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** WARNING: unhandled variable 11 in NPP_GetValue()
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NPP_Destroy() invoke: Connection closed
Loading stream: http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/tennis/tennis2.swf
npviewer.bin: pcm_pulse.c:296: pulse_write: Assertion `pcm->last_size >= (size * pcm->frame_size)' failed.


$ rpm -q firefox swfdec swfdec-mozilla
firefox-3.0.1-1.fc9.i386
swfdec-0.6.6-1.fc9.i386
swfdec-mozilla-0.6.0-1.fc9.i386

Hope this helps.
Comment 18 Valent Turkovic 2008-11-16 15:24:32 EST
Here is an update:

http://www.fedoratv.com - site down?!?

http://www.ted.com - front page isn't rendered correctly, individual videos just don't start

http://www.youtube.com/ - you need to click on video in order to see controls but it works ok! Rewinding to uncached part doesn't work (it works with Adobe Flash 9 and 10 player)

http://www.blip.tv - frontpage video works but other videos I click I see totem plugin loading instead of swfdec

http://video.google.com/ - it works now.  Rewinding to uncached part doesn't work (it works with Adobe Flash 9 and 10 player)

http://www.redtube.com NSFW - videos don't play (looks also like buffering)

http://www.metacafe.com - doesn't even start.

http://www.videojug.com - it works now (but looong wait for buffering)

http://sclipo.com/ - doesn't even start

http://www.dailymotion.com - audio and video not in sync?!?

http://crackle.com - doesn't even start

http://www.revver.com - doesn't even start

http://www.veoh.com - video plays but "loading" message that shows
buffering stays overlayed over the video the whole time

http://video.msn.com - doesn't even start


tested with swfdec 0.6.0
Comment 19 Valent Turkovic 2008-11-16 15:32:32 EST
Upstream bug:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18553

installed packages:
swfdec-mozilla-0.6.0-1.fc9.i386
swfdec-gtk-0.6.8-1.fc9.i386
swfdec-0.6.8-1.fc9.i386
Comment 20 Joachim Frieben 2008-11-17 00:54:08 EST
Your package versions are lagging behind significantly since Rawhide is at:

  swfdec-0.9.2-1.fc11
  swfdec-mozilla-0.9.2-1.fc11

Try to rebuild the binary RPMs from the SRPMs with "rpmbuild --rebuild ..".
Otherwise file a bug requesting an update.
Comment 21 Bug Zapper 2009-06-09 19:27:00 EDT
This message is a reminder that Fedora 9 is nearing its end of life.
Approximately 30 (thirty) days from now Fedora will stop maintaining
and issuing updates for Fedora 9.  It is Fedora's policy to close all
bug reports from releases that are no longer maintained.  At that time
this bug will be closed as WONTFIX if it remains open with a Fedora 
'version' of '9'.

Package Maintainer: If you wish for this bug to remain open because you
plan to fix it in a currently maintained version, simply change the 'version' 
to a later Fedora version prior to Fedora 9's end of life.

Bug Reporter: Thank you for reporting this issue and we are sorry that 
we may not be able to fix it before Fedora 9 is end of life.  If you 
would still like to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it 
against a later version of Fedora please change the 'version' of this 
bug to the applicable version.  If you are unable to change the version, 
please add a comment here and someone will do it for you.

Although we aim to fix as many bugs as possible during every release's 
lifetime, sometimes those efforts are overtaken by events.  Often a 
more recent Fedora release includes newer upstream software that fixes 
bugs or makes them obsolete.

The process we are following is described here: 
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/HouseKeeping
Comment 22 Valent Turkovic 2009-06-11 20:01:44 EDT
This is still an "active" bug.
Comment 23 Thomas Kowaliczek 2010-03-07 17:08:58 EST
This bug wont be fixed by upstream. Because they are in maintenance mode.
They will don´t develop new features.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.