Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 451170
F-10 pv_ops xen: Add x86_64 SMP support
Last modified: 2009-12-14 15:41:56 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9b5) Gecko/2008042803 Red Hat/3.0b5-0.beta5.6.el5 Firefox/3.0b5
Description of problem:
I try to run Fedora 9 x86_64 paravirtualized on RedHat EL 5 x86_64 on Dell 2950. CPU: Intel Quadcore, RAM: 8GB, Disk: RAID5
While installation and running Fedora detects only one CPU although more than one VCPU is set in the according xen-config file.
"cat /proc/cpuinfo" shows only one CPU in guest system.
xen-config (/etc/xen/fedora) on host system:
name = "fedora"
uuid = "02a35f2f-8f4f-c8d2-c8f5-1fea42ae0132"
maxmem = 512
memory = 512
vcpus = 4
bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"
on_poweroff = "destroy"
on_reboot = "restart"
on_crash = "restart"
vfb = [ "type=vnc,vncunused=1,keymap=de" ]
disk = [ "phy:/dev/sda7,xvda,w" ]
vif = [ "mac=00:16:3e:11:f8:d3,bridge=xenbr0" ]
Fedora 8 x8_64 detects 4 CPUs with the same configuration.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install RedHat EL 5 x86_64 as host
2. Config paravirtualized guest machine via virtual machine manager, with 4 VCPUs
3. Install Fedora 9 x86_64 from network source
4. Within installation switch to console and type in "cat /proc/cpuinfo"
5. Install Fedora and after that type in "cat /proc/cpuinfo"
- Only 1 CPU is detected by Fedora
- The CPU settings for this guest is automatically reset to 1 CPU in "Virtual machine manager" when Fedora guest starts
- Paravirtualized Fedora 8 detects 4 CPUs as expected
According to xen-config file more than one CPU has to be detected by Fedora
Yep, x86_64 xen DomU doesn't currently have SMP support - see also bug #437947
Okay, with kernel-xen-2.6.27-0.2.rc0.git6.fc10.x86_64 we have SMP support again
$> uname -r
$> cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep processor
processor : 0
processor : 1
*** Bug 460292 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***