Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 453266
Bump boost libraries to 1.37
Last modified: 2013-08-09 01:48:57 EDT
Description of problem:
Can you please bump boost to version 1.35? (released on March 29th)
Benjamin, do you know of a reason not to rebase, or shall I go ahead and do it?
Any progress on that? I need boost 1.35 for development purposes, I'm doing a
local rebase of the RPM but I'd better wait for official packages.
Looking into spec, boost has a long history of keeping up with latest greatest,
so I guess there's no harm doing the rebase (in rawhide). I'll proceed soonish.
I had thought that I'd put in a reference to
here, but I guess not. That thread is kind of confused: let's keep this one
about updating the fedora boost package to something more recent that 1.34.1.
So, like that thread, I'm gunning for a rebase 1.36.0 at the end of July 2008,
and skipping 1.35.0 entirely.
Petr, if you want to rebase to the boost release branch and tag as 1.36.0-0.1 or
whatever, I'd be all for that. Then we could just update SVN and go to 1.36.0-1
when it is officially released. That is pretty much what I was doing for the
Boost 1.36-beta1 is in rawhide. I'm closing this bug.
PS: Boost 1.36 final was released a couple of week ago.
Unfortunately I've gotten around to update boost too late in the release cycle, and had to untag it shortly after the build. You probably managed to sync rawhide in the meantime.
$ koji latest-pkg f10-alpha boost
Build Tag Built by
---------------------------------------- -------------------- ----------------
boost-1.34.1-16.fc10 f10-alpha pmachata
I'll reopen the bug, and will resolve it in f11. Sorry about that.
No problem, btw boost 1.37 is out ;-)
Do you know whether there is a package for Boost.Build and/or Boost.Jam (bjam)?
Its a shame that Boost 1.36.0 did not make it into F10 because there are
some very real problems with GCC 4.3.x and Boost versions earlier than
1.36.0 such as:
Is there any chance that a Boost update could appear for F10 or are we
stuck waiting for F11?
*** Bug 475463 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
I'm also needing urgently an update to boost 1.37.
I don't know the details on how Fedora planifies updates, but it'd be really nice if there could be an update for boost.
When is F11 planified to be released?
(In reply to comment #9)
> Is there any chance that a Boost update could appear for F10 or are we
> stuck waiting for F11?
Unfortunately, no. Boost rebase is quite an invasive operation, because new boost is potentially both API and ABI incompatible with the old one. It needs to be synchronized with clients, who always need to be rebuilt, and often ported. It's a lot of work, and we would inevitably end up breaking parts of the distro.
(In reply to comment #11)
> I'm also needing urgently an update to boost 1.37.
> I don't know the details on how Fedora planifies updates, but it'd be really
> nice if there could be an update for boost.
> When is F11 planified to be released?
According to the schedule:
F11 alpha should be out 2009-02-03. This release will already have boost 1.37. Final should be out 2009-05-26.
Also note that boost 1.37 is already in rawhide, even though a couple clients failed to rebuild (failures that were due to boost were fixed right away, so these clients that were left behind were failing for non-boost reasons; some of these might even be fixed by now). So I'm closing this bug RAWHIDE.
(In reply to comment #12)
The release notes for Boost 1.38.0 which is out since Feb 8th, quite a number of serious bugfixes in several libraries are listed: http://www.boost.org/users/news/version_1_38_0
Wouldn't it be wise to rebase to 1.38.0 for F11 instead of 1.37.0 to avoid potential problems caused by these bugs?