Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 467753
stage2= does not work for FTP method
Last modified: 2008-11-04 08:34:06 EST
Description of problem:
anaconda 18.104.22.168 does not parse it's own anaconda-ks.cfg, I get multiple failures
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. install rawhide interactively
2. retrieve anaconda-ks.cfg from the box
3. try to kickstart with this file
1) anaconda asks for installation method, even though the ks file in question has a clear
repo --name="Installation Repo" --baseurl=ftp://22.214.171.124/pub/Fedora/development/x86_64/os/
2) giving anaconda that URL when it asks it will then bail out with
Error Parsing Kickstart Config
The following error was found while parsing your kickstart configuration:
The following problem occurred on line 0 of the kickstart file:
no such option: --service
3) commenting out the line "firewall --service=ssh", rebooting, feeding it again the URL manually, gets me to the partition screen as expected (as we child-lock partitioning), so next step is removing the comments.
a) anaconda should not ask for install method if it wrote a ks file itself which contains the information. It was always the case that saying ks=... on the boot line would get it all running, it would seem that post F10 beta I need to give ks=... _and_ method=... on the kernel boot line. Is this a bug or is this intended?
b) anaconda should not choke on a "firewall --service=ssh" line, especially not with such a cryptic message if it wrote the ks file itself.
changing the line to "firewall --ssh" (as per anaconda 126.96.36.199 docs) makes install work.
the machines get booted with the following PXE entry
MENU LABEL Fedora development (aka rawhide) x86_64 kickstart installer
This entry will erase all your HDs
Only use if you want to install a system for testing
append initrd=fc-devel-x86_64/initrd.img ks=http://188.8.131.52/kickstart/pcfe/F-rawhide-minimaltesting-x86_64-ks.cfg ksdevice=bootif
(obviously all from append through bootif is one line)
This broke at some point after F10 beta,
Created attachment 321203 [details]
/root/anaconda-ks.cfg as picked up after an interactive install
Created attachment 321204 [details]
/var/log/anaconda.log picked up after an interactive install
to be complete; the interactive install from which the files in Comment #1 and Comment #2 were taken was started with the following PXE entry:
MENU LABEL Fedora development (aka rawhide) x86_64 installer
Fedora development may not be installable.
If it fails either try again tomorrow (we sync every night)
or install Fedora 8 x86_64 and then update to Fedora devel
append initrd=fc-devel-x86_64/initrd.img repo=ftp://184.108.40.206/pub/Fedora/development/x86_64/os/
The problem appears to be the --stage2=@/tmp/method parameter being passed, which is how we pass the FTP URL to anaconda in order to hide the username and password. Expanding that out for --stage2= got missed when I did all the rest of that work.
I'd hoped to be able to test this entirely through an updates.img but the work also included stuff in loader, so we'll just have to wait for the next build of anaconda to see if it works.
retested with anaconda-220.127.116.11-1 and pykickstart-1.46-1 still starting the interactive install as described in comment #3 and then feeding it back to anaconda for kickstart installs
- bug 468850 made me add an ignoredrives list and remove the --driveorder=... but from the partition section, but that bug is known and being dealt with.
- "firewall --service=ssh" line is now dealt with correctly
- anaconda now writes a nearly correct url line, I get "url --url=ftp://18.104.22.168/pub/Fedora/development/x86_64/os//images/install.img" but that is not yet what is needed, it will complain after 5-10 minutes that it is unable to read package metadata. If I change the line manually to "url --url=ftp://22.214.171.124/pub/Fedora/development/x86_64/os/" the kickstart works as expected.
Chris, I will attach the anaconda-ks.cfg and anaconda.log from the interactive install. Do you need anything else?
Created attachment 321834 [details]
/root/anaconda-ks.cfg as picked up after an interactive install (anaconda-126.96.36.199-1)
Created attachment 321835 [details]
/var/log/anaconda.log picked up after an interactive install (anaconda-188.8.131.52-1)
Does updates=http://clumens.fedorapeople.org/467753.img fix it?
(In reply to comment #9)
> Does updates=http://clumens.fedorapeople.org/467753.img fix it?
yes, now the anaconda-ks.cfg from an interactive install reads
Thanks for testing, this will be in the next build of anaconda.
confirm, the fix is in anaconda now, no more updates.img needed.
tested with 184.108.40.206
this bug can be closed