Bug 486248 - Review Request: terminus-fonts - Clean fixed width font
Review Request: terminus-fonts - Clean fixed width font
Status: CLOSED NEXTRELEASE
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: Package Review (Show other bugs)
rawhide
All Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Hans Ulrich Niedermann
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
: 480482 (view as bug list)
Depends On: 202356
Blocks: F11-new-font-rules
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2009-02-18 19:45 EST by Hans Ulrich Niedermann
Modified: 2014-11-09 14:50 EST (History)
5 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2009-02-20 16:08:01 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
nicolas.mailhot: fedora‑review+
kevin: fedora‑cvs+


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Hans Ulrich Niedermann 2009-02-18 19:45:45 EST
Spec URL: http://ndim.fedorapeople.org/packages/terminus-fonts/4.28-4.fc10/terminus-fonts.spec
SRPM URL: http://ndim.fedorapeople.org/packages/terminus-fonts/4.28-4.fc10/terminus-fonts-4.28-4.fc10.src.rpm
Description: 

The Terminus Font is designed for long (8 and more hours per day)
work with computers.

Version 4.28 contains 825 characters, covers about 120 language
sets and supports ISO8859-1/2/5/7/9/13/15/16, Paratype-PT154/PT254,
KOI8-R/U/E/F, Esperanto, many IBM, Windows and Macintosh code pages,
as well as the IBM VGA, vt100 and xterm pseudographic characters.

The sizes present are 6x12, 8x14, 8x16, 10x20, 12x24, 14x28
and 16x32. The styles are normal and bold (except for 6x12),
plus EGA/VGA-bold for 8x14 and 8x16.

The font is available for the Linux console and for X11.
Comment 1 Hans Ulrich Niedermann 2009-02-18 19:50:44 EST
This review request is for renaming the old terminus-font package according to the new font policies (bug 480482).
Comment 2 Hans Ulrich Niedermann 2009-02-18 20:17:15 EST
Releng ticket for removal of the old package: https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/1291
Comment 3 Hans Ulrich Niedermann 2009-02-18 20:19:24 EST
*** Bug 480482 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 4 Hans Ulrich Niedermann 2009-02-18 20:30:41 EST
Koji scratch build results:

  dist-f10 http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=1137853
  dist-f11 http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=1137855
Comment 5 Hans Ulrich Niedermann 2009-02-20 06:41:38 EST
Let me comment about the rpmlint output (available at
http://ndim.fedorapeople.org/packages/terminus-fonts/4.28-4.fc10/rpmlint.txt):


terminus-fonts.spec:9: E: hardcoded-library-path in /lib/kbd/consolefonts
A library path is hardcoded to one of the following paths: /lib, /usr/lib. It
should be replaced by something like /%{_lib} or %{_libdir}.

terminus-fonts.src:9: E: hardcoded-library-path in /lib/kbd/consolefonts
A library path is hardcoded to one of the following paths: /lib, /usr/lib. It
should be replaced by something like /%{_lib} or %{_libdir}.

The /lib/kbd/consolefonts directory belongs to the kbd package, and the kbd package itself hardcodes it as /lib/..., not /%{_lib} or %{_libdir} or anything with macros. Following rpmlint's suggestions would likely break things.


terminus-fonts.noarch: W: symlink-should-be-relative /etc/fonts/conf.d/63-terminus.conf /usr/share/fontconfig/conf.avail/63-terminus.conf
Absolute symlinks are problematic eg. when working with chroot environments.

terminus-fonts.noarch: W: symlink-should-be-relative /etc/X11/fontpath.d/terminus:unscaled /usr/share/fonts/terminus
Absolute symlinks are problematic eg. when working with chroot environments.

All the other packages putting symlinks into the /etc/X11/fontpath.d directory also use absolute symlinks, so I am following a common practise here.
Comment 6 Nicolas Mailhot 2009-02-20 06:58:11 EST
1. You can safely drop this comment
# Do not trust font metadata versionning unless you've checked upstream does
# update versions on file changes. When in doubt use the timestamp of the most
# recent file as version.

2. Are you sure you want to keep this Provide?
Provides:	terminus-font-x11 = 4.28-2
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Shipping_fonts_in_Fedora_%28FAQ%29#Do_I_need_to_Provide_my_old_package_names.3F

3. You can probably use the common_desc trick found in
/etc/rpmdevtools/spectemplate-fonts-multi.spec

to simplify your spec

4. Group:		User Interface/X is a bit ironic for the console package

5. If you only push your package to rawhide (as you should do), I think you can assume filesystem is at the right version
Requires:	filesystem >= 2.4.11-1
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Shipping_fonts_in_Fedora_%28FAQ%29#Do_I_need_to_change_my_package_in_stable_releases_in_addition_to_Rawhide.2Fdevel.3F

6. FPC will ask you to use globals instead of defines soonish
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/global_preferred_over_define

7. Do you really need to hardcode /etc in the catalog path?

8. It's a bit saner to put Provides/Obsoletes next to other rpm dependency rules (requires/buildrequires)

9. you do not need %dir %{_fontdir} anymore
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/fontpackages-1.20-1.fc10

10. really adding a fontconfig file which is effectively a noop helps no one. Please take a look at the templates in /usr/share/fontconfig/templates/ they're not hard a all to fill

11. the symlinks warning of rpmlint is totally bogus and FRPC already decided to have it nuked
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Symlinks
Comment 7 Hans Ulrich Niedermann 2009-02-20 08:24:39 EST
(In reply to comment #6)
> 1. You can safely drop this comment
> # Do not trust font metadata versionning unless you've checked upstream does
> # update versions on file changes. When in doubt use the timestamp of the most
> # recent file as version.

Dropped.

> 2. Are you sure you want to keep this Provide?
> Provides: terminus-font-x11 = 4.28-2

No. Dropped. (Turned out not to be useful after all, I had misread the rpm output.)

> 3. You can probably use the common_desc trick found in
> /etc/rpmdevtools/spectemplate-fonts-multi.spec
> to simplify your spec

Done.

> 4. Group:  User Interface/X is a bit ironic for the console package

It is, but I cannot see any fitting rpm group. "Application/Text" does not work either, because this is a font, not an application processing text. "System Environment/Base" is the group of the kbd package which contains the other console fonts, but terminus-fonts-console is not a required basic part of the system environment either.

So, in the absences of a "Others" group, I don't see a group where this package would really fit into.

Groups are not really used any more anyway, as far as I understand it, so it probably has no consequences anyway. If you want the terminus-fonts-console package in a specific, different group, I'm happy to change it, of course.

> 5. If you only push your package to rawhide (as you should do), I think you can
> assume filesystem is at the right version
> Requires: filesystem >= 2.4.11-1
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Shipping_fonts_in_Fedora_%28FAQ%29#Do_I_need_to_change_my_package_in_stable_releases_in_addition_to_Rawhide.2Fdevel.3F

Dropped. F-10 shipped a newer filesystem package, and that is all I cared about.

> 6. FPC will ask you to use globals instead of defines soonish
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/global_preferred_over_define

Changed.

> 7. Do you really need to hardcode /etc in the catalog path?

No. Changed to %{_sysconfdir}.

> 8. It's a bit saner to put Provides/Obsoletes next to other rpm dependency
> rules (requires/buildrequires)

Done.

> 9. you do not need %dir %{_fontdir} anymore
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/fontpackages-1.20-1.fc10

Changed: Removed the %dir, and versioned the build requirement for fontpackages-devel.

> 10. really adding a fontconfig file which is effectively a noop helps no one.
> Please take a look at the templates in /usr/share/fontconfig/templates/ they're
> not hard a all to fill

Added a simple fontconfig file now.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fontconfig_packaging_tips read as if anything going beyond that empty noop fontconfig file was optional, and did not mention those (really useful) templates.

> 11. the symlinks warning of rpmlint is totally bogus and FRPC already decided
> to have it nuked
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Symlinks

Good. I am ignoring those now.


I have uploaded the a version as terminus-fonts-4.28-5.fc10 with all the above changes incorporated:

  http://ndim.fedorapeople.org/packages/terminus-fonts/4.28-5.fc10/terminus-fonts.spec
  http://ndim.fedorapeople.org/packages/terminus-fonts/4.28-5.fc10/terminus-fonts-4.28-5.fc10.src.rpm
  http://ndim.fedorapeople.org/packages/terminus-fonts/4.28-5.fc10/terminus-fonts-fontconfig.conf

  http://ndim.fedorapeople.org/packages/terminus-fonts/4.28-5.fc10/
  http://fedorapeople.org/gitweb?p=ndim/public_git/terminus-fonts-package.git;a=summary
Comment 8 Hans Ulrich Niedermann 2009-02-20 08:29:44 EST
Koji scratch build of terminus-fonts-4.28-5.fc10 for dist-f11:

  http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=1142218
Comment 9 Hans Ulrich Niedermann 2009-02-20 08:42:26 EST
(In reply to comment #8)
> Koji scratch build of terminus-fonts-4.28-5.fc10 for dist-f11:
> 
>   http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=1142218

This failed due to

    No Package Found for fontpackages-devel >= 1.20

However, now that I have removed the %dir %{_fontdir}, I need to require this version, right?

Hmm. The fontpackages-1.20/changelog.txt suggests that requiring 1.18 would be more appropriate, and koji has dist-f11 builds of 1.18 and 1.19, so that should solve it.

I'll be uploading and test building terminus-fonts-4.28-6.fc10 with fontpackages-devel >= 1.18 shortly:

http://ndim.fedorapeople.org/packages/terminus-fonts/4.28-6.fc10/
http://fedorapeople.org/gitweb?p=ndim/public_git/terminus-fonts-package.git;a=summary
Comment 10 Hans Ulrich Niedermann 2009-02-20 08:49:32 EST
Successful dist-f11 terminus-fonts-4.28-6.fc10 koji scratch build:

  http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=1142253
Comment 11 Nicolas Mailhot 2009-02-20 11:59:21 EST
Yes, http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fontconfig_packaging_tips should really be revised, but I can't find the time and no one else seems to bother.

Anyway your 4.28-6 seems fine. Thank you for taking the time to fix the problems

ͳͳͳ APPROVED ͳͳͳ

You can now continue from

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Shipping_fonts_in_Fedora_%28FAQ%29#What_if_the_new_naming_guidelines_require_me_to_rename_my_source_package.3F
Comment 12 Hans Ulrich Niedermann 2009-02-20 13:57:57 EST
(In reply to comment #11)
> Yes, http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fontconfig_packaging_tips should really be
> revised, but I can't find the time and no one else seems to bother.

FWIW, I have just added a short paragraph about the template files in /usr/share/fontconfig/templates/.

> Anyway your 4.28-6 seems fine. Thank you for taking the time to fix the
> problems
> 
> ͳͳͳ APPROVED ͳͳͳ

Thank you!
Comment 13 Hans Ulrich Niedermann 2009-02-20 14:00:07 EST
New Package CVS Request
=======================
Package Name: terminus-fonts
Short Description: Clean fixed width font
Owners: ndim
Branches:
InitialCC:
Comment 14 Kevin Fenzi 2009-02-20 15:25:27 EST
cvs done.
Comment 15 Hans Ulrich Niedermann 2009-02-20 16:08:01 EST
terminus-fonts has been successfully built in rawhide, so I am closing this as NEXTRELEASE.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Comment 16 Jens Petersen 2014-05-14 02:55:20 EDT
Would you consider adding the package to epel7, please?
(See bug 1097424)

terminus-fonts is not included in RHEL 7 (unlike RHEL 6).
Comment 17 Hans Ulrich Niedermann 2014-11-09 14:50:23 EST
Closing the NEEDINFO as epel7 branch already exists.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.