Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 496445
Fails to display download progress for Presto downloaded packages
Last modified: 2009-04-24 10:52:08 EDT
Description of problem:
The new update tool does not display download progress for packages that downloaded via yum-presto.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install yum-presto on Rawhide
2. Run System -> Administration -> Software Updates
3. Update system
Download progress is shown for all packages that are being downloaded
Download progress is shown only for packages *not* downloaded by Presto
Since yum-presto is probably going to be enabled by default on F11, marking as release blocker.
We've enabled presto by default post Development Freeze? How on earth am I meant to have known this, let alone tested this? Surely presto needs to work with PackageKit, rather than PackageKit work with presto?
(In reply to comment #1)
> We've enabled presto by default post Development Freeze? How on earth am I
> meant to have known this, let alone tested this? Surely presto needs to work
> with PackageKit, rather than PackageKit work with presto?
I am not privy to the reasoning behind this late and rather unpublished change. Not sure when/if it was actually enabled by deafault in comps, but delta rpms are already pushed to our mirrors and AFAIK the plan indeed is to have it enabled by deafult (if not, feel free to remove the F11Blocker). I don't know the details about presto integration with yum/PackageKit. Adding yum-presto maintainer to CC list.
I've bodged in a local fix:
Author: Richard Hughes <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun Apr 19 11:59:42 2009 +0100
yum: Deal with Presto downloading updates in a better way
I'll build a package for you to try.
Can you try http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=1307814 please. Thanks.
(In reply to comment #4)
> Can you try http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=1307814 please.
I've quickly reverted one of the packages from latest updates and tried updating with PackageKit. Seems it works now as expected, I'll test it more most likely when next batch of updates is out.
Curious, does this only affect the pk backend, or were changes required to the gui/frontend as well? If the latter, does this affect kpackagekit as well?
(Looking closer, since the assigned component is gnome-packagekit, I'll assume this is an interface issue)
No, just the daemon. When using presto we get passed a YumAvailablePackageSqlite rather than a YumLocalPackage. This is used to work out which package is being downloaded and the correct signals are sent to the frontend. This fix sorts pkcon, GPK and KPK.
(In reply to comment #5)
> (In reply to comment #4)
> > Can you try http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=1307814 please.
> > Thanks.
> I've quickly reverted one of the packages from latest updates and tried
> updating with PackageKit. Seems it works now as expected, I'll test it more
> most likely when next batch of updates is out.
Looks like this one was false positive or something other broke again in the meatime. During today's batch of updates only one of the Xorg server packages showed download progress and/or finished download :-/
Also changing it to block F11Target rahter the F11Blocker as suggested on devel list.
Would be nice if some of the other people CC-ed to this bug could verify if the fix works or does not works for them.
I don't think this is anything to do with presto, as I just played with PK and installed a bunch of things ... and got no progress info. on the downloads -- after a few minutes I gave up and used the yum cmd line and it worked fine (downloading them directly).
Hm... at closer look the actual issue does not seem to be connected to presto. I've just installed three updates, all of which were most likely downloaded by presto, but only one of them showed download progress - the first one in the list. If I recall correctly, the only update from yesterday that showed download progress was also first in the list... Next time I'll try without presto to see if it really is another bug I am hitting now.
(In reply to comment #11)
> Next time I'll try without
> presto to see if it really is another bug I am hitting now.
So, this happens without yum-presto as well. Filled bug 496787.
Build tagged for f11-final. Thanks!