Bug 49825 - mpage25-j.patch breaks ISO-8859-2 encoded texts
Summary: mpage25-j.patch breaks ISO-8859-2 encoded texts
Status: CLOSED DUPLICATE of bug 34882
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: mpage (Show other bugs)
(Show other bugs)
Version: 7.1
Hardware: All Linux
medium
high
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Bill Nottingham
QA Contact:
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2001-07-24 13:05 UTC by Pawel Salek
Modified: 2014-03-17 02:22 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2001-07-24 13:27:04 UTC
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Pawel Salek 2001-07-24 13:05:05 UTC
Description of problem:
The mpage25-j.patch applied to pristine mpage sources causes that
ISO-8859-2 text are printed incorrectly: the national characters are
replaced with kanji-like glyphs.

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. take prebuilt mpage package.
2. print ISO-8859-2 encoded text with mpage -CISO-Latin.2 < a| lpr

	

Actual Results:  The national characters like aogonek are replaced with
japanese glyphs. For example, following postscript chunk is created:
0 672 moveto (\\begin{letter}{Sz. Pani Maria Piotrowicz, Krak) show
kanj setfont
46 mp_a_x mul 672 moveto <7377> show


Expected Results:  The chunk is properly generated by unpatched mpage code:
0 672 moveto (\\begin{letter}{Sz. Pani Maria Piotrowicz, Kraksw}) show


Additional info:

Suprprisingly, even ISO-Latin.1 texts are printed incorrectly with this
patch (I have just tested it with single line scripts like
echo "surstrvmming" | mpage -1 > /tmp/a.ps 
etc). Again, the oumlaut is incorrectly replaced by a kanji character.
I file this bug as severe because the loss of function is major, data is
damaged during printout and this is evidently (IMO) a packaging error.

Comment 1 Pawel Salek 2001-07-24 13:06:58 UTC
I have noticed that the national characters have been garbled in the report so I
will try again:
d - aumlaut
v - oumlaut
e - aring

Comment 2 Pawel Salek 2001-07-24 13:27:00 UTC
I have just noticed that my report really duplicates #34882.
I blame it on bugzilla
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/easy_enter_bug.cgi
has a button "show bugs in this component" but it shows only open bug reports.
(Yes, mpage-2.5.1-7 from rawhide does not have this bug).

Comment 3 Bill Nottingham 2002-01-24 05:37:28 UTC

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 34882 ***


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.