From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.77 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.4.3-12 i686)
Description of problem:
The font 'rmtmi.pfb' is missing, even though 'locate' finds several
rmtmi-related font files ... just not this particular one!
Steps to Reproduce:
Actual Results: [kelley@Intrusion kelley]$ dvips caro
This is dvipsk 5.86 p1.5d Copyright 1996-2001 ASCII
based on dvipsk 5.86 Copyright 1999 Radical Eye Software
' TeX output 2001.07.24:1744' -> caro.ps
<texc.pro><8r.enc><texps.pro>. <rmtmi.pfb>This is DVIPS, t1part module
rmtmi.pfb: No such file or directory
Expected Results: Should create a PostScript file.
Test file "caro.tex" follows:
Hi $\alpha$ there.
Created attachment 24827 [details]
Do you know when this last worked?
Hello. I don't when/if it worked last, actually. I'm pretty sure I've made
this work in the past, but I'm not sure if was on my intel machine [on which
I've had pretty much each of the RH versions, over time] or on a solaris box
that I used before switching to RH.
Since it's such a simple test-case, one might hope for help from some of the
Tex/LaTeX discussion groups, but I figured that you folks at RH would have a
special interest in getting this to work, since having a solid LaTeX,
combining all the various components, is something that one disto can offer
over another. [Note: the test works perfectly in my friend's debian box.]
Let me know if I can help. I did a _lot_ of web surfing to try to find an
answer, but I didn't turn up much that made sense to me.
Okay, which version of Debian does your friend have?
(If I can compare a working teTeX with a broken one I stand a better chance of
Sorry, the person who told me that it worked on debian is taking some time off
and cannot be reached. (A new baby arrived!). However, I found the email, and
have pasted the guts of it below. It _might_ help. If not, I probably can't do
much more investigation on the debian end. You folks must have a box with
Debian on it, to check for these sorts of issues, right? :-)
OK, jokes aside, the below is what my friend sent, from a Debian box:
$ latex caro.tex
This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1)
LaTeX2e <1999/12/01> patch level 1
Babel <v3.6Z> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german, ngerman, n
Document Class: article 1999/09/10 v1.4a Standard LaTeX document class
No file caro.aux.
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/ts1ptm.fd)  (caro.aux) )
Output written on caro.dvi (1 page, 276 bytes).
Transcript written on caro.log.
$ dvips caro
This is dvips(k) 5.86d Copyright 1999 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2001.07.24:1622' -> caro.ps
$ locate rmtmi.
$ dpkg -S /usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/yandy/mathtime/rmtmi.afm
Okay, it's a newer dvipsk (5.86d vs 5.86). Perhaps it's that.
(I can't even get this to work with TeXLive..)
A suggested work-around: use