Bug 523796 - update to the latest stable version 1.2.2 and remove trailing spaces from .spec
update to the latest stable version 1.2.2 and remove trailing spaces from .spec
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: libssh2 (Show other bugs)
12
All Linux
high Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Chris Weyl
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
: Reopened, Triaged
Depends On:
Blocks: F12Target
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2009-09-16 13:20 EDT by Kamil Dudka
Modified: 2010-01-19 04:09 EST (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2010-01-19 01:17:45 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Kamil Dudka 2009-09-16 13:20:51 EDT
Description of problem:
I'd like to improve the SSH support (several bug fixes, performance improvements, etc.) in libcurl as one of the most important libssh2 clients.

Additional info:
Please also remove trailing spaces from the libssh2.spec:

$ sed -i 's/  *$//' libssh2.spec
Comment 1 Chris Weyl 2009-09-17 13:40:28 EDT
Thanks for filing this -- I've been meaning to update but there always seems to be something higher priority to do.

I'll see about getting it out there in the next day or so.
Comment 2 Kamil Dudka 2009-09-21 10:34:40 EDT
Please consider also applying of the following patch:
http://git.libssh2.org/?p=libssh2.git;a=commitdiff;h=683aa0f6b52fb1014873c961709102b5006372fc

The bug is present in the current Fedora package of libssh2, as well as in the latest stable release 1.2.
Comment 3 Chris Weyl 2009-09-22 20:55:49 EDT
Alright -- 1.2 is out in rawhide (with the patch requested) and the various packages depending on it have been rebuilt.  Feel free to ping me with anything else...
Comment 4 Kamil Dudka 2009-09-23 14:35:00 EDT
Thanks for getting this in time for F-12 beta! Please remove also the trailing spaces from libssh2.spec:

$ sed -i 's/  *$//' libssh2.spec

(IMO it's OK to fix it in the CVS only, no need for build)
Comment 5 Kamil Dudka 2009-11-27 15:39:19 EST
Please update to 1.2.2 and build it for Fedora 12.
Comment 6 Kamil Dudka 2009-12-07 17:36:22 EST
No chance to contact the maintainer since 2009-11-25.

This package needs some maintenance to be done:
- update to new bugfix release 1.2.2
- apply fix for #539444 (breaks curl)
- re-enable test suite (+ explain why it is actually disabled)
- require OpenSSH to make the test suite more useful
- package also libssh2.pc
- fix gcc warnings
Comment 7 Kamil Dudka 2009-12-14 06:36:56 EST
Raising priority to high as curl is still broken.
Comment 8 Kamil Dudka 2010-01-15 04:00:50 EST
Chris, just two notes about your activity in curl/devel yesterday:

1. There was absolutely no reason for rebuild of curl in regards to this bug, not even for the release bump.

2. I didn't understand at all why the following line appeared in curl.spec (without any comment around):

        %define _default_patch_fuzz 2 \n\n

Luckily the build has failed anyhow (because of bug 539444), so that I spotted that nonsense and reverted.

You should immediately stop silently doing things on your own, without discussing them with maintainers first.  Most of your changes in curl and libssh2 are counter-productive and dangerous.  Thanks in advance!
Comment 9 Fedora Update System 2010-01-15 17:02:14 EST
libssh2-1.2.2-2.fc12 has been pushed to the Fedora 12 testing repository.  If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
 If you want to test the update, you can install it with 
 su -c 'yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update libssh2'.  You can provide feedback for this update here: http://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F12/FEDORA-2010-0571
Comment 10 Chris Weyl 2010-01-19 01:17:45 EST
(In reply to comment #8)
> Chris, just two notes about your activity in curl/devel yesterday:
> 
> 1. There was absolutely no reason for rebuild of curl in regards to this bug,
> not even for the release bump.
> 
> 2. I didn't understand at all why the following line appeared in curl.spec
> (without any comment around):
> 
>         %define _default_patch_fuzz 2 \n\n
 
Sorry about that -- looks like it crept in from an older bump script.

> Luckily the build has failed anyhow (because of bug 539444), so that I spotted
> that nonsense and reverted.
> 
> You should immediately stop silently doing things on your own, without
> discussing them with maintainers first.  Most of your changes in curl and
> libssh2 are counter-productive and dangerous.  Thanks in advance!    

Counter-productive and dangerous?  Care to elaborate, or are you just taking potshots here?  I don't believe I've ever made a change to the curl package (aside from bump/build), and the only patch I've ever applied to libssh2 came from upstream.  I look forward to your retraction of this statement.  Thanks in advance!

Please try to keep issues to one per bug, rather than the smorgasbord you've listed above.  Thanks. :)
Comment 11 Kamil Dudka 2010-01-19 04:09:17 EST
(In reply to comment #10)
> Sorry about that -- looks like it crept in from an older bump script.

I'd like to discuss *all* your changes in the curl package before they happen actually.  There is no excuse to use a script out of your control for this purposes.  If you had been aware of the change, you should have reverted it immediately.  If you were not aware of the change, then it was really dangerous since I even didn't get any mail about it.

> Counter-productive and dangerous?  Care to elaborate, or are you just taking
> potshots here?  I don't believe I've ever made a change to the curl package
> (aside from bump/build), and the only patch I've ever applied to libssh2 came
> from upstream.  I look forward to your retraction of this statement.  Thanks in
> advance!

I personally prefer mail/IRC for discussing it.  Nevertheless if you prefer bz/fesco tickets, there is not much I can do with that...

- disabling the test-suite without telling anybody
- adding "Requires: pkgconfig" to docs subpackage instead of devel
- releasing an update as fix for #539444, before conducting any test yourself
- you broke libgcrypt support for nothing by the yesterdays patch, but to be frank it's not really dangerous when we consider only binary packages

> Please try to keep issues to one per bug, rather than the smorgasbord you've
> listed above.  Thanks. :)

I've only done what I had to - see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Policy_for_nonresponsive_package_maintainers

"When a Fedora member notices that a maintainer isn't answering their bugs, not answering rebuild requests, emails or the like, they need to file a bug against the package in bugzilla asking for the maintainer to respond. This bug should list the outstanding issues they need to address. This is a must."

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.