Bug 5249 - TeX/kpathsea takes forever to verify that fonts exist
Summary: TeX/kpathsea takes forever to verify that fonts exist
Status: CLOSED DUPLICATE of bug 5326
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: tetex   
(Show other bugs)
Version: 6.0
Hardware: i386
OS: Linux
medium
medium
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Tim Waugh
QA Contact:
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 1999-09-20 15:34 UTC by hughett
Modified: 2008-05-01 15:37 UTC (History)
0 users

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2000-01-15 22:56:01 UTC
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description hughett 1999-09-20 15:34:15 UTC
When I run TeX on a small file, it takes about 10 seconds
to verify that all the fonts exist, followed by about a
second to actually compile the file.  The previous version
did everything in a second or two.

Sample:

[hughett@chaplin ncf99]$ tex desc
This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3)
(desc.tex (/home/hughett/tex/newfonts.texkpathsea: Running
mktextfm  cmr12
mktextfm: /var/lib/texmf/tfm/public/cm/cmr12.tfm already
exists.
kpathsea: Running mktextfm  cmmi12
mktextfm: /var/lib/texmf/tfm/public/cm/cmmi12.tfm already
exists.
kpathsea: Running mktextfm  cmsy10
mktextfm: /var/lib/texmf/tfm/public/cm/cmsy10.tfm already
exists.
kpathsea: Running mktextfm  cmex10
mktextfm: /var/lib/texmf/tfm/public/cm/cmex10.tfm already
exists.
kpathsea: Running mktextfm  cmbx12
mktextfm: /var/lib/texmf/tfm/public/cm/cmbx12.tfm already
exists.
kpathsea: Running mktextfm  cmti12
mktextfm: /var/lib/texmf/tfm/public/cm/cmti12.tfm already
exists.
kpathsea: Running mktextfm  cmtt12
mktextfm: /var/lib/texmf/tfm/public/cm/cmtt12.tfm already
exists.
) (/home/hughett/tex/btxmac.tex)kpathsea: Running mktextfm
cmss12
mktextfm: /var/lib/texmf/tfm/public/cm/cmss12.tfm already
exists.
kpathsea: Running mktextfm  msbm10
mktextfm: /var/lib/texmf/tfm/ams/symbols/msbm10.tfm already
exists.
kpathsea: Running mktextfm  msbm10
mktextfm: /var/lib/texmf/tfm/ams/symbols/msbm10.tfm already
exists.

[1] [2] [3] (desc.aux) [1] )
Output written on desc.dvi (4 pages, 8672 bytes).
Transcript written on desc.log.

The log file contains nothing remarkable.

Paul Hughett

Comment 1 Jeff Johnson 2000-01-15 22:56:59 UTC
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 5326 ***

Comment 2 hughett 2000-02-01 15:52:59 UTC
I made the modification suggested in bug report #5326 but this had no effect
on the problem.  After some experimentation I found that removing the line
     export TEXFONTS=.:$HOME/tex/fonts:/var/lib/texmf/
did fix the problem, whether or not the modification from #5326 was installed.
I have been using TeX for going on ten years now, and set up the environment
variables several years ago; it appears that the newest kpathsea configuration
is incompatible with the old environment variables.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.