From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.78 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.4.7-2smp i686; Nav)
Description of problem:
I selected to install tripwire as part of a custom installation. I have not
run tripwire before, and it was my intention to install now, learn later,
andstart using it later.
I did my install last weekend.
all this week I noticed that logrotate was not running. Upon checking the
cron logs, I came across the following:
Subject: Cron <root@lugs> run-parts /etc/cron.daily
**** Error: Tripwire database for lugs not found. ****
**** Run /etc/tripwire/twinstall.sh and/or tripwire --init. ****
I take it that because tripwire fails in /etc/cron.daily, than all the
other daily cron jobs fail to run.
This is 2 bugs really, and BOTH should be fixed.
1) tripwire, as installed, should not be generating a failure
in cron.daily - there are some checks to try to not run the tripwire
cron if it is not setup but these are apparently inadequate.
2) the 2nd bug is in logrotate/cron. It really should not stop processing
the daily (or hourly, for that matter) crons is one of them happens to
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. to reproduce the cron/logrotate problem, just introduce an error
(any shell error) one of the cron.daily (or cron.hourly) scripts. note that
selecting an earlierly executed one will have more effect than selecting
the last cron script that gets executed.
2. to specifically check tripwire problem. do a CLEAN install and don't
configure tripwire at all. the cron.daily should give the error that I got
and posted above.
Actual Results: logrotate doesn't rotate the logs.
Expected Results: an error in tripwire cron script really shouldn't
upon further investigation, several notes as the above need to be made.
1) the bad tripwire configuration does not break logrotate (the
real problem w/ logrotate (I was having pacct filling /var/log)
the problem is pacct's logrotate parameters this has been bugzilled as #52572
Tripwire should not be enabled if the user has not configured it properly
first. The user needs to read the documentation for tripwire, configure
it accordingly, then use it.
I'm not sure what should be done on our end to make this easier, but
I'm open to suggestions, and will investigate the issue further in
a future release.
I'm defering this for a future release.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 61855 ***