Description of problem:
After bug #522070 was fixed, suspend-to-disk & resume worked nicely. With the latest updates from rawhide it seems the X server crashes after the resume has been completed. When KMS is disabled resume from suspend-to-disk works fine.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
- compared to bug #522070 these parts have changed since then:
Unfortunately I don't know the previous xorg-x11-server version
- when I activate hibernate the system switches to a VT and sometimes there is a warning like "unexpected NMI. You must have a HW problem. Trying to continue".
- the resume completes, i.e. I hear the BIOS beep and the sleep LED flashes shortly. After that it should switch to the locked X session screen, but instead after a short while you see X start up again and gdm appears.
- I couldn't see any "crash" messages in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old or /var/log/messages. So it is only my guess that the X server crashes. When I login into a tty I can see some of my old processes from the previous X session are still active.
- my xorg.conf:
Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
I have to use "XAA" because of bug #524312
Created attachment 363593 [details]
X server log
Retested with the kernel from bug #522070: same problem. So the bug must be in the newer xorg-x11-drv-ati.
There was a driver crash recorded in Xorg.0.log.old but I missed it in my cursory check. See attached log file.
0: /usr/bin/Xorg (xorg_backtrace+0x3c) [0x80e561c]
1: /usr/bin/Xorg (0x8048000+0x5eb26) [0x80a6b26]
2: (vdso) (__kernel_rt_sigreturn+0x0) [0xb9040c]
3: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so (0xba1000+0xa2301) [0xc43301]
4: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so (0xba1000+0xd040b) [0xc7140b]
5: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so (0xba1000+0xd050b) [0xc7150b]
6: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so (0xba1000+0xcc499) [0xc6d499]
7: /usr/bin/Xorg (0x8048000+0x1333b2) [0x817b3b2]
8: /usr/bin/Xorg (0x8048000+0x88fb3) [0x80d0fb3]
9: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so (0x5c7000+0x424b5) [0x6094b5]
10: /usr/bin/Xorg (xf86Wakeup+0x513) [0x80b2923]
11: /usr/bin/Xorg (WakeupHandler+0x52) [0x8073792]
12: /usr/bin/Xorg (WaitForSomething+0x1a2) [0x80a0e72]
13: /usr/bin/Xorg (0x8048000+0x25ea0) [0x806dea0]
14: /usr/bin/Xorg (0x8048000+0x1a855) [0x8062855]
15: /lib/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0xe6) [0x882b36]
16: /usr/bin/Xorg (0x8048000+0x1a441) [0x8062441]
Segmentation fault at address (nil)
Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting
can you please retest with latest -ati and X.org server?
Needed also latest xorg-x11-server for driver to work correctly. Retested with:
Resume for hibernate seems to work OK again.
But a couple of things I noticed:
- Option "AccelMethod" "XAA" in xorg.conf seems to be ignored now. Driver uses EXA
- As far as I can see bug #524312 seems to be fixed, so I wouldn't need XAA anyway any more...
- Some (KDE) icons are broken with the new driver. Instead of the icon you see a square with random color pixels