Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 57684
rpm segfaults, possible damaged package db (maybe kpackage related)
Last modified: 2008-05-01 11:38:01 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:0.9.5) Gecko/20011013
Description of problem:
I can't do ANYTHING that involved upgrading or installing RPMs. Not only
will rpm fail on --install (--install --test) --U -qa and --rebuilddb--on
top of that, gnorpm, kpackage, up2date and Ximian RecCarpet all crash as well!
I read over previous issues that are similar on RedHat Bugzilla. I tried
the db_verify script on the /var/lib/rpm files and it gave me an error that
the Packages db was corrupt.
I tried moving the db to Packages.old and running:
db_dump Packages.old | db_load Packages
and that seemed to work--at least the db_verify script 'liked' the
database, however, the segfaults still continue.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
3.rpm -U anything.rpm
4.rpm -i anything.rpm
Actual Results: Segmentation fault (core dumped).
Expected Results: check rpmdb, repair rpmdb, install rpm, upgrade rpm,
etc.; i.e. the program shopu;d perform normally!
I tend to think it is one of the kpackage-related RPM db corruptions
issues. I tried looking for a solution, but it seems that all the ones
listed on Bugzilla failed to fix the issue. What's next?
I ran 'rpm --rebuilddb -vv'and saved the output to a file rebuild.txt, I
also have the core file (renamed core.something so I could upload it...)
that was dumped, you can d/l them from:
The Packages file itself is about 20MB, if you need to peruse that, tell me
the best way to send it to you.
Just a couple more data points:
1) rpm is version 4.0.2.
2) A gzipped version of the Packages database is posted on the above web site
if it is helpful in solving the problem. It's about 6.5 Mb...
Install rpm-4.0.3 packages from ftp.rpm.org/pub/rpm/dist-4.0.x
and do a --rebuilddb. That will eliminate damaged header
instance #1022 from your Packages database.
No can do.
I can't install the new RPM 4.0.3 via RPM, because RPM is broken.
I downloaded rpm-4.0.3.tar.gz and tried to build it, but it doies not seem to
If I understand the INSTALL instructions correctly, running ./autogen.sh should
set some env variable then launch configure.
When I run ./autogen.sh all I get is a USAGE message ( see
I checked the versions of the required apps and they meet the requirements for
RPM 4.0.3 ( see http://www.geocities.com/jfxberns/versions.txt )
I tried ./configure, but it dies with an error (see
OK. I am back to square one. No working rpm, no way to run rpm --rebuilddb.
There's a tarball of binaries at
*** Bug 57719 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
I didn't even see the pre-compiled binaries before when I looked there.
tar -xzf'd them and
everything works beautifully.
You guys are amazing. Many thanks!