We need to identify differences, if any, in API's between JON 2.3.1 and 2.4.
Initial api's to investigate
Agent side plugin API: i.e. are peoples plugins going to have to change
Remote Server side API: i.e. are peoples remote scripts going to have to change
While we need to actually identify the changes api's individually, one test that could give us some indication of how much has changed would be taking the plugin packs that comes with 2.3.1 and swapping them with the ones in a 2.4 server prior to install.
Added some documentation at http://rhq-project.org/display/RHQ/API+Changes+Between+JOPR+2.3.1+And+RHQ+3.0.0
From looking at the wiki link it appears 2.3.1plugins should be compatible with JON2.4? Can you please test 2.4 with those plugins from a 2.3.1 install
*** Bug 577994 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
A basic smoke test of the 2.3.1 plugins under 2.4 agent was successful. Autodiscovery works, operations can be triggered, configuration changed, metrics seem to be collected.
Steps to reproduce:
1) unzip 2.4 distribution and 2.3.1 distribution
2) delete all the plugin jars from $JON_24_ROOT/jbossas/server/default/deploy/rhq.ear.rej/rhq-downloads/rhq-plugins
3) copy all the plugins from $JON_231_ROOT/jbossas/server/default/deploy/rhq.ear.rej/rhq-downloads/rhq-plugins to $JON_24_ROOT/...
4) copy all the optional plugins from different 2.3.1 plugin packs as well
5) start 2.4 and configure it with an empty database
6) start the 2.4 agent
7) try to do normal work with the GUI - discovery, operation, configuration, monitoring, alerts, ... all should work.
Obviously, because the old plugins are used with this approach, the discovered resources are going to have the names and "singletonness" as they used to in 2.3.1.
I tried the above steps mentioned in comment#4 and everything seem to work normal.
Monitoring, alerts etc all intact.
Marking this bug as verified.
Mass-closure of verified bugs against JON.