Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 59376
RFE: No support for PPPoA ADSL users
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:39:53 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 Galeon/1.0.2 (X11; Linux i686; U;) Gecko/20011226
Description of problem:
Support is missing for PPPoA ADSL users.
Also missing pppoatm.so plugin for ppp (see another open bug for this one)
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.Try to use neat to setup a PPPoA ADSL connexion! Not listed.
Actual Results: No way to setup my ADSL cnx.
Expected Results: Support for my ADSL cnx.
I own an Alcatel Speed Touch USB ADSL modem, provided by France Telecom for use
with its ADSL service (Wanadoo).
- Alactel Speed Touch support is not included in RH7.2 (Mandrake does include
support, but you've to add a closed source binary by yourself)
- pppoatm.so plugin for ppp is missing in RH7.2
- as of kernel-2.4.9-13, PPP over ATM is correctly included wrt the kernel
To make my modem work under RH7.2, I had to:
- get sarlib-0.2.4 (ATM support lib), speedtouch-1.5.tar (kernel module),
speedmgmt.tar.gz (this last one is closed source IIRC)
- compile sarlib and speedtouch
- install speedmgmt.tar.gz and speedtouch kernel module
- include the correct line in /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap
- add a modprobe -k pppoatm in /etc/hotplug/usb/speedtouch, plus a sleep 3
before starting speedmgmt
Then for the ADSL cnx:
- downgrade ppp to a one including pppoatm.so plugin
- create /etc/ppp/peers/ppp0 with:
- create a /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 with
- change /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdown-post to remove the following line:
rm -f /etc/ppp/peers/$DEVICE
Conclusion: PPPoA ADSL could be better supported!
Which version of redhat-config-network are you using?
redhat-config-network-0.9.10-2 (stock RH7.2 I think)
we only have pppoe ... not pppoA (over ATM)! so it is a RFE..
Dupe of bug 56467 ?
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 56467 ***
I have an internal ADSL PCI board from Traverse (http://www.traverse.com.au/).
I'm not required to use the PPPOA plugin with PPP, since I can connect
with "pppd call adsl". But my problem is: how can I have a valid ifcfg-ppp0
startup script so that my system can be brought on-line after a reboot?
RH8.0 is definitely missing PPPOA support... what's the best way to have it
working? I don't think this is a duplicate of 56467, since in my case
pppoatm.so is not needed in my case.
Changed to 'CLOSED' state since 'RESOLVED' has been deprecated.