Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 613104
60b2 installs in a 512MB RAM KVM guest failing sometimes
Last modified: 2010-07-09 15:46:34 EDT
Description of problem:
I see random failures when trying to install RHEL 6.0 Beta 2 inside a KVM guest running on Fedora 13 x86_64 host.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
6.0 Beta 2
25% to 40% of test installs fail
Steps to Reproduce:
1. install F13 x86_64 on IBM LS21
2. fully update F13
3. create a LV for the KVM guest (either by allowing virt-install on the first test run to create an LV or vie virt-manager) and use that LV for all future tests
4. configure bridged networking (doubtful this is related, but both on my tests at home yesterday and the tests on LS21 today, I do use bridged networking)
5. virt-install -n 512test -r 512 --vcpus=1 --location=ftp://myserver/pub/RHEL-6.0-Beta-2/Server/x86_64/os -x "console=ttyS0,115200 ks=http://myserver/kickstart/pcfe/RHEL60-beta2-minimaltesting-x86_64-ks.cfg" --os-type=linux --os-variant=rhel6 --nographics --hvm --disk vol=vg_bcblade02/KVM_512_test --network bridge=br0
6. if install went through fine, disconnect from console
7. virsh destroy 512test ; virsh undefine 512test
8. repeat steps 5 through 7 a few times (I did 10 testruns)
between 25% and 40% of the installs fail
deterministic install results
Additional info: (please do not mind the odd formatting, gnome sticky notes on my notebook is acting up and was refusing me to copy from th enote directly, so I extraced my failure notes from it's file)
1 failed like this:
Running anaconda 13.21.50, the Red Hat Enterprise Linux system installer - please wait.
install exited abnormally [1/1]
The system will be rebooted when you press Ctrl-C or Ctrl-Alt-Delete.
1 just hung on a screen that has only the bottom line
<Tab>/<Alt-Tab> between elements | <Space> selects | <F12> next screen
(decided after ~5 mins it was hung)
1 hung for 10 minutes on mlocate install beforew I killed it
│ Packages completed: 129 of 376 │
│ install exited abnormally [1/1] -10.el6.x86_64 (1 MB) │
│ Kernel module management utilitiThe system will be rebooted when you press Ctrl-C or Ctrl-Alt-Delete.
│ Packages completed: 161 of 376 │
│ install exited abnormally [1/1] 86_64 (5 MB) │
│ Utility for secure communicationThe system will be rebooted when you press Ctrl-C or Ctrl-Alt-Delete.
the kickstart file I used for all this has: (only the important bits)
clearpart --all --initlabel
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 612525 ***