Bug 61784 - bimsphone (intelligent character input method based on ZuYin) gave garbage
bimsphone (intelligent character input method based on ZuYin) gave garbage
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG
Product: Red Hat Public Beta
Classification: Retired
Component: libtabe (Show other bugs)
skipjack-beta1
i686 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Leon Ho
David Lawrence
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2002-03-24 10:58 EST by Fortepianissimo
Modified: 2007-04-18 12:41 EDT (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2002-03-25 12:04:10 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Fortepianissimo 2002-03-24 10:58:54 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:0.9.9) Gecko/20020321

Description of problem:
bimsphone input mode using xcin (hitting "ctrl-alt-6" to invoke) gave garbage
output. Pressing individual ZuYin keys is okay, but the end result (supposed to
be the correct Chinese character) is garbage.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Fire up xcin.
2. Hit ctrl-alt-6 to invoke bimsphone input mode
3. Try to input some Chinese character by hitting the correct combination of
ZuYin keys.
	

Actual Results:  Garbage (looks like it's not even 16-bit).

Expected Results:  Should be the correct Chinese characters.

Additional info:

The previous version of libtabe + xcin gave the correct result. However since
the previous version requires db4, which was removed in this beta (and Rawhide
as well), I can't just reinstall the old version due to the dependency break.

I suspect this is libtabe-specific problem, because:

1. Using the other input mode (e.g. ZuYin) gave correct results. Only bimsphone
mode, which depends on libtabe, is broken.
2. I had problem building libtabe package anyway (described in bug #61783).
Comment 1 Leon Ho 2002-03-24 21:41:32 EST
What desktop environment and editor etc are you using?
Comment 2 Fortepianissimo 2002-03-25 11:09:55 EST
I'm using KDE 2.2.2 (but I didn't try to use xcin with any KDE application
actually - see below). It seems that the problem occurred no matter what
application I was using; e.g., it occurred with rxvt invoked by

export LANG=zh_TW.Big5
export XMODIFIERS="@im=xcin"
rxvt -geometry 0+0+80x25 -fg cyan -bg black -fn 8x16 -fm
-taipei-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-150-75-75-c-160-big5-0 -km big5 -sr +st -im
xcin -pt OverTheSpot&

or galeon invoked by

export LANG=zh_TW.Big5
export XMODIFIERS="@im=xcin"
galeon

or mozilla, etc. (you get the idea)

I used libtabe i386 rpm (since I can't build my own - see bug #61783) but xcin
was complied using "-O6 -march=i386". The previous versions of xcin and libtabe,
compiled with the same flags, worked fine though.
Comment 3 Fortepianissimo 2002-03-25 12:04:05 EST
Turned out to be a db3-related issue. See #61783 - now everything works fine.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.