Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 70149
Anaconda crashes when actually starting installation
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:44:53 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:0.9.9) Gecko/20020513
Description of problem:
After answering all setup questions anaconda crashes on the package install
screen. Strange enough this only happens the first time when trying to install
limbo2. The second time (with exactly the same setup) anaconda runs without any
problem. I noticed this behaviour on two different systems. Crash dump attached.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install limbo2 with my setup (see anaconda crash dump)
2. Anaconda crashes on the package install screen
Have you run the mediacheck if you are installing from CD?
Yes I did run the mediacheck. All 3 install discs PASSed. I'm having problems
attaching the crashdump to this bug. I already sent the error message to
email@example.com. Should I send you the crash dump via email?
Created attachment 68025 [details]
Anaconda crash dump from limbo2, 3rd try
Anaconda crashed at the same point for me - I was attempting an upgrade.
I have an anacdump.txt file to include - can you please let me know if I should
If this is reproducible, can you go to tty2 when it crashes and look in
/tmp/lvmout and see if it has any indication as why the vgchange failed?
Just tried to reproduce the problem. Here are the steps I did:
1. Delete all partitions from the hard disk using fdisk --> reboot
2. Start Limbo2 installation ...
3. Manually create swap and root partition using fdisk. When writing the
partition table I see a short message telling me that the kernel could not
re-read the partition table (never had a similar problem on any of the last
official Red Hat releases)
4. Select ext3 for / (the two partitions are shown correct without a reboot)
5. On the screen which shows the actual packet installation I get a dialog box:
The kernel was unable to re-read partition table on /dev/hda.
This message appears twice and after that I get another windows telling me that
I have to reboot.
6. After the reboot I checked the partitions using fdisk --> the two partitions
are correctly setup so I did not change them again
7. Repeat all the steps in anaconda until package installation starts
8. Like during the first installation attempt I get these two dialog boxes:
The kernel was unable to re-read partition table on /dev/hda
9. After clicking Ok on both dialogs boxes the installation starts.
Right now the installation is still going on. I will enter additional
information when the install is finished.
Same crash happened again after the installation has fineshed. Here is the
output of /tmp/lvmout that you requested:
vgchange -- no volume groups found
vgscan -- creating empty "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d"
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created
vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a VGDA backup of your volume group
Anaconda crash dump will be attached.
Created attachment 71044 [details]
Anaconda crash dump after fresh limbo2 installation
Should be fixed in our current codebases
The same thing happens with the (Null) Beta.
*** Bug 71939 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Jeremy, was this fixed after Null was cut?
Under Red Hat 8.0 I still get errors that anaconda can't re-read the partition
tables of my hard drives, but the install works without a problem. Should I
report this as a new bug against Red Hat 8.0?