Hello, here is a summary of the problem:
- with freetype 2.4.2, DejavuSansMono is rendered normally;
- with freetype 2.4.6, DejavuSansMono and the other fonts are rendered badly (badly means here "not in the same way as with 2.4.2"): after some googling, I have found it is due to the fact that the bytecode interpreter is now enabled, and the workaround is to use autohinting:
"ln -s /etc/fonts/conf.avail/10-autohint.conf /etc/fonts/conf.d/"
This works great, but not for DejavuSansMono.
After trying freetype 2.4.5 without having any problem, I found it: it is the patch
that is faulty.
Without it, DejavuSansMono is rendered normally using the last 2.4.6 sources and autohinting.
this is not a bug. The commit fixes a bug which was present in freetype for a long time. This was discussed here:
I'm closing this as a duplicate of #752538.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 752538 ***