Bug 75167 - Sendmail attempts to connect to localhost.com, does not send mail
Sendmail attempts to connect to localhost.com, does not send mail
Status: CLOSED RAWHIDE
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: sendmail (Show other bugs)
8.0
i386 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Florian La Roche
David Lawrence
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2002-10-04 19:43 EDT by Jeremy Linden
Modified: 2007-04-18 12:47 EDT (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2002-11-03 14:45:22 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Jeremy Linden 2002-10-04 19:43:03 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020830

Description of problem:
I have configured sendmail to accept and send mail, but when I try to send mail
using pine or any other local mail reader, nothing happens.  Further
investigation has shown that when I attempt to send mail using my mail server,
it attempts to connect to a mail server on localhost.com for some strange
reason.  Predictably, the operation times out and the mail never gets sent.  Of
course, then sendmail tries to send an error message to the attempted sender of
the message, with the same result: it tries to connect to localhost.com and
fails.  The end result is a large amount of files in /var/spool/clientmqueue and
no sent messages.  I have been using Red Hat as a mail server since 6.2, and
have never had this problem before; perhaps it has to do with the recent
restructuring in the way sendmail operates.  Sendmail still receives mail fine
from anywhere.  

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Attempt to send mail, from anyone, to anyone.  

Actual Results:  The mail doesn't get sent; sendmail attempts to connect to
localhost.com and fails; /var/spool/clientmqueue continues storing the message.  

Expected Results:  The mail should have been sent; sendmail shouldn't have
connected to localhost.com.  

Additional info:

MDeferred: Connection timed out with localhost.com.
Comment 1 Jeremy Linden 2002-10-04 20:04:38 EDT
I have found out some new information about this bug that almost certainly
connects it to bug 71906.  Contrary to my earlier report, sendmail does not
attempt to connect to "localhost.com"; it attempts to connect to
"localhost.com.". (Notice the extra dot on the end.)  An extremely dirty hack is
to add the text "127.0.0.1    localhost.com." to /etc/hosts.  Interestingly,
adding "127.0.0.1   localhost.com" to /etc/hosts does not do anything.
Comment 2 Raul Acevedo 2002-10-16 13:58:12 EDT
I get exactly the same problem.  For me, it says "localhost.cantara.com.",
because I set Cwcantara.com in sendmail.mc.

The /etc/hosts trick worked for me.  I'll be very curious to see why this happens...
Comment 3 Ron Daisy 2002-11-01 08:17:19 EST
I had a similar problem. It turns out that I had in my resolv.conf file 
the following line: 
 
search gc 
 
(gc was some old domain). When I removed it suddenly all my queued mail 
was sent. 
 
The same configuration used to work under RedHat 7.3; 
I have no idea why it stopped functioning with 8.0.
Comment 4 Need Real Name 2002-11-03 01:39:15 EST
I believe I am having the same problem.  I did a fresh install of RH 8 and
didn't make any changes to sendmail.  I am thinking I should be able to send
mail locally but no, I get the same errors as above.

I tried adding 'localhost.localdomain.' in my /etc/hosts file but it didn't fix
it.  Any tips would be appreciated.
Comment 5 Jeremy Linden 2002-11-03 14:45:16 EST
One thing you can do is add "localhost.com." to your /etc/hosts file.  Another
thing that I just discovered that works is changing a line directly in your
/etc/mail/submit.cf file.  The line for me is #112 on my system; it originally
says "D{MTAHost}[localhost]".  I changed it to "D{MTAHost}[127.0.0.1]".  That
will act as a substitute for modifying your /etc/hosts file.  It's still a hack,
but in my opinion it's a less dirty one.
Comment 6 Florian La Roche 2002-11-19 02:50:31 EST
I have changed MTAHost in the newest rpm. Please try out
http://people.redhat.com/laroche/sendmail-8.12.3 and open up a new
bugzilla report if that version is still having problems for you.

greetings,

Florian La Roche

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.