Bug 75189 - nedit not UTF-8 aware
Summary: nedit not UTF-8 aware
Status: CLOSED RAWHIDE
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: nedit   
(Show other bugs)
Version: 8.0
Hardware: i386 Linux
medium
high
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Tim Waugh
QA Contact:
URL: http://www.vermtech.de/nedit.gif
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
: 129068 (view as bug list)
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2002-10-05 08:56 UTC by Need Real Name
Modified: 2007-04-18 16:47 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

Fixed In Version: 5.3-6
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2003-12-05 13:18:48 UTC
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
chop off UTF-8 from locale if it exists (1.51 KB, patch)
2003-11-29 19:02 UTC, Carlos Rodrigues
no flags Details | Diff

Description Need Real Name 2002-10-05 08:56:51 UTC
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; de-AT; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020830

Description of problem:
nedit is not able to display german umlaut like |vd
The snapshot should display |vd

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.start nedit
2.enter |vd
3.
	

Actual Results:  nedit displays it not correct

Expected Results:  nedit should display |vd

Additional info:

Comment 1 Tim Waugh 2002-10-05 09:00:23 UTC
If you start nedit like this: 
 
LANG=de_DE nedit 
 
I expect it will work.

Comment 2 JLapham 2003-06-01 15:20:51 UTC
Tim-

Right.  See my earlier report on this:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=76248

"LANG=pt_BR nedit" work perfectly
"LANG=pt_BR.UTF-8 nedit" cannot display accented characters.

My question is this.

What should we do!???  We (portuguese speaking users of RH) want to use nedit
with our language, but unfortunately "pt_BR.UTF-8" is used by default on RH for us.

Help!

(Could neit have a wrapper script that strips off the damn ".UTF-8" part of the
LANG env variable?!!)

Comment 3 Need Real Name 2003-09-14 13:58:51 UTC
Just to let you know.  The UTF problem lies in Motif.  If you link any against
OpenMotif, it cannot handle UTF and crashes when you try to use the file open
dialog.  No problem is reported with LessTif (though LessTif has many other
problems we don't want to go in here).

For NEdit 5.4, we've changed start up to lop off UTF-8 if it's in locale at all.
 It is currently in beta, but you can download from our website
(http://www.nedit.org).

We encourage all system vendors that bundle NEdit to join our discussion group
(develop@nedit.org) and participate in the beta.  Many of our bug reports are
reported against versions of NEdit that are built improperly (unstable versions
of LessTif or Motif) by system vendors.  We'd like to work with you to make sure
future releases are stable.



Comment 4 Carlos Rodrigues 2003-11-29 19:00:59 UTC
This also happens in Fedora Core 1 (which ships nedit 5.3). I made a
small patch to do what nedit 5.4 does (chop off the UTF-8 part).

Comment 5 Carlos Rodrigues 2003-11-29 19:02:02 UTC
Created attachment 96250 [details]
chop off UTF-8 from locale if it exists

Comment 6 Tim Waugh 2003-12-05 13:18:48 UTC
Added this ugly hack to CVS.

Comment 7 Tim Waugh 2004-08-11 11:39:13 UTC
*** Bug 129068 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.