Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 76229
Mysqld crashes repeatedly
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:47:43 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)
Description of problem:
When connecting to mysql via tcp, the client is challenged for password. After
entering password, receives 'connection lost during query'. A check of the
mysql log shows that the server hung, the process was killed and restarted.
Connections via linux sockets seem to work ok. But any connection via tcp,
even from the localhost, causes server to crash. Have tried on 3 hardware
configurations, problem seems to recur each time.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install server and mysql software
2. Start mysqld service
3. Run Mysql_install_db script
4. Create mysql root password via 'mysqladmin password <password>'
5. Log into mysql as root via 'mysql -u root -p'
6. Create root user for access over network via 'Grant all on *.*
to 'root'@'%' identified by '<password>';'
7. Reload priviliges via 'Flush Privileges;'
8. Exit localhost mysql via 'Exit'
9. Ping from another machine to test interface
10. Run 'nmap -sT localhost' from localhost and another machine to verify that
port tcp:3306 is open
11. Run 'netstat' to verify port is listening
12. Run 'iptables' to verify no blocking rules apply
13. Try to connect from another host or from localhost via tcp with
'mysql -u root -p -h <ip address>'
14. Should receive challenge for password
15. Enter password. A pause of 1-2 seconds, followed by error message.
16. Check server logs
17. Verify uptime by logging into mysql from localhost and entering
Actual Results: Message that process mysqld hung and was killed, then
Expected Results: Should have been able to login
Have also installed newer version of mysql and client programs, but problem
recurs. Did not occur on equivalent machine in RedHat 7.1, which was what was
running on this machine prior. Not upgraded, however, but a full install
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 77467 ***