Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 80847
man pages use funny characters
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:49:25 EDT
Description of problem:
man pages now use something other than a - (0x2d) in places where a dash has
been previously used. This makes it hard to search for a given command line
option using / from the pager or from xemacs.
M-x man in xemacs results in man pages with something other than the normal - to
represent the character that introduces a command line switch. As such,
interactive searching, e.g. using C-s fails when you try to look up a command
line switch option the obvious way
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
man-1.5j-12 (although it's probably not a bug in man itself--that's just where I
see the problem)
Steps to Reproduce:
1. man man
Pattern not found
Portions of the man man page containing -C should be highlighted
in emacs it's even worse; the dashes result in a bunch of \342\210\... junk
This is possibly related to -- or the cause of -- bug 75193, which is related
to man and groff and owned by firstname.lastname@example.org.
yes, we've confirmed that it is a groff bug.
the following approach (to be added in man.local and
mdoc.local) until programs can handle Unicode hyphens correctly:
.if '\*[.T]'utf8' \
. char \- \N'45'
I meant that it's not a groff bug, but rather the workaround is done in groff.
Using the "real" hyphen is maybe OK for groff, but doesn't help
when you want to search and/or cut&paste an option name, because
most of us have no "hyphen" key on our keyboards.
Ok, groff-1.18.1-6 should have this finally resolved. I'll copy the src.rpm
in a second to http://people.redhat.com/laroche, let me know if this does not
work for you.
The changes from above are already in our rpm, but do not get properly applied.
Florian La Roche
groff-1.18.1-6 from http://people.redhat.com/laroche did not help, and in the
xemacs case it made things worse. Now if I say
the status line says
man man (cleaning...)
and xemacs runs forever. doing a man man in a gnome-terminal results in a
question mark being printed where the minus sign should be.
I'm using groff-1.18.1-6 (from laroche) and xemacs-21.4.10-6 (from rawhide)
If I back off to groff-1.18.1-1 from the Phoebe ISO, the running forever and
question mark both go away, so groff-1.18.1-6 is indeed the culprit here.
This one is hunting me... release 7 is another try and I again see no
problems on the console. I have not tried xemacs with this.
Florian La Roche
groff-1.18.1-7 does not fix the manpage bug :
- "man nfsstat" in konsole shows [strange character] [spaces] [description of
- "man nfsstat" in xterm shows [option] [spaces] [description of option].
- "man nfsstat" in gnome-terminal shows [question mark] [option] [spaces]
[description of option]
- "man nfsstat" in a text console shows [option] [description of option].
*The only way* for me to view a manpage correctly is "man <foo> |col -b |less".
"man nfsstat |col -b |less" shows [option] [hyphen] [spaces] [description of
- Red Hat Linux release 8.0.93 (Phoebe)
Hmmgbf... I'll have to correct myself on comment #8.
"man snmpwalk |col -b" also results in garbage output :
snmpwalkOscâpublicvâ1 zeus system
will retrieve all of the variables under system:
Created attachment 89681 [details]
This patch fixes it for me.
*** Bug 80544 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 83023 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
THIS IS ISSUE TRACKER 14333, ENTERED BY DELL DURING GINGIN BETA4 AS SEVERITY 2.
This is what I see on a fresh phoebe2 ( 8.0.93 ) system :
Running screen on VT2 as root; man init -> missing hyphens in the synopsis line.
similar problem in man sysctl and man nm.
man blockdev -> "-<a little sqare>setro" is displayed
Upgrading to "groff-1.18.1-9" solves _some_ of the reported problems with
manpages, however :
"man snmpwalk" in konsole and gnome-terminal seems fixed, but not in xterm.
"man nfsstat" in konsole and gnome-terminal seems fixed, but not in xterm.
"man crontab" in konsole, gnome-terminal, xterm and virtual console still shows
"man init" in konsole shows corruption on the second line of description and a
missing "-" in xterm.
The theme seems to be underlined UTF-8 characters still being broken.
It was due to less(1) being broken: see bugs 83376, 83377 (with patches).
Can you still see problems with groff-1.18.1-10 and less-378-7 (both in rawhide
groff-1.18.1-10 and less-378-6 (I didn't see less-378-7 on the rawhide mirror)
seem to solve the problems I've seen. My testing so far has been light, but I
use the machine with phoebe 2 on it a lot and will keep my eye out for any
less-378-7 is what you want. Hold out for that.
OK. I picked up and installed less-378-7 and the problems still appear solved,
but my use of less is very lightly tested, since I almost always read man pages
Things look pretty good with the re0206.nightly tree. Closing out.