Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 81273
Fonts not set to iso-8859-2
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:49:34 EDT
Description of problem:
Clean install of Phoebe in Czech, cs_CZ.UTF-8
When Evolution starts, it uses ISO-8859-1 fonts and replaces all
ISO-8859-2 chars by underscores. Some of the problems can be
fixed by selecting ISO-8859-2 encoding for screen fonts in
the settings dialog (note that printing fonts already have
ISO-8859-2), but some (e.g. fonts used in the summary view)
don't have a GUI way to change the encoding.
Another bug: In the icon listbox at the left of the settings dialog,
the labels are cut off after accented characters (e.g.
Nastaven instead of Nastaven&icaron; )
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
I'm not seeing this here -- did you have settings leftover from a previous release?
No, clean install with new /home.
A screenshot showing one the problems in the summary view is at
(Moje po_asi etc).
[I haven't found a way to set up *this* font right. Similar underscores
appear in the config dialog and elsewhere, and some of them can be fixed
as described above].
I'll try to attach more tomorrow, and try the second beta in a week or so.
The same problem in clean install of Red Hat Linux release 8.0.93 (Phoebe) (beta2)
Does this seem better with gtkhtml-1.1.8-1 and evolution 1.2.2 from rawhide?
Yes, fonts look pretty good with this release of evolution and gtkhtml.
I haven`t find any other bug yet ..
Additionally I found one bug in Settings menu fonts.
With gtkhtml-1.1.8-3.i386.rpm from todays rawhide is everything once again wrong.
ISO-8859-2 encoding in summary page and Subject of messages are with underscores
without appropriate chracter.
clean phoebe 8.0.93 install in cs_CZ.UTF-8 + evolution-1.2.2-1, gtkhtml-1.1.8-3:
- the default *screen* font is still 8859-1;
note that default default *print* font is 8859-2. IIRC, the defaults (-1 for
screen, -2 for print) haven't changed
- before changing the default, non-8859-1 chars show as _
- after changing the default, thinks look pretty much OK,
even the summary view (this is better since my previous report).
The only problem I have noticed is the icon bar in the Settings dialog
(see the second screenshot link from Martin)
*** Bug 88253 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
UTF-8 should be handled sanely with 1.4.x in rawhide.
I confirm Evolution 1.4 doesn't have this problem anymore, I didn't test the
current rawhide version but the version available at the maintainer's homepage
on people.redhat.com/~katzj on both clean and old RH9 installs.
That's good news !