Description of problem:
I tried to install RH 8.0, from CD ROM, in a Pentium III 666MHz, 64MB RAM
computer and IDE/ATAPI disk drive with 10GB. When it was about to install it
gave an traceback error that I will reproduce.
I tried the same process 4 times with the same error.
I searched for this error and patches here in Bugzilla and the internet. This
error was present in previous versions of the installer and was suppossed to
occur when less than 250MB were assigned to the /root partition, but as you
can see I assigned 4500MB to that partition.
Thanks for reading. I hope it can be fixed.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable): Red Hat Linux 8.0
How reproducible: Every time
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Installer correctly detected monitor, mouse and keyboard.
2. I selected Spanish as the language for installation. Same with keyboard.
3. Selected a 2 button generic PS2 mouse with 3 button emulation.
4. Selected personal desktop type installation.
5. Relied on automatic partitioning keeping all existing partitions and using
free space, with the following result:
hda1 MSDOS/Windows 4800 MB(aprox)
hda2 /boot 102MB
hda3 / 4500MB (aprox)
hda4 swap partition 188MB
6. Selected GRUB loader (no password, no advanced options)
7. Left default network and firewall configuration.
8. Language support spanish and Spain's time zone.
9. Set root password and created user account.
10. Customized package group selection, which mainly included X-Windows,
Gnome, KDE and other utilities. No server or development tools.
11. Hit Install and obtained the error message.
This is the error message I obtained (it didn't allow to save to floppy, so I
may have copied it wrong):
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/gui.py", line 786, in handleRenderCallback
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/iw/progress_qui.py", line 149, in renderCallback
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/gui.py", line 632, in nextClicked
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", line 150, in gotoNext
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", line 215, in moveStep
rc = apply (func, self.bindArgs(args))
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/packages.py", line 430, in turnOnFilesystems
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/lvm.py", line 54, in vgactivate
searchPath = 1
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/iutil.py", line 66, in execWithRedirect
childpid = os.fork()
OSError: [Erno 12] No se pudo asignar memoria
The last phrase means something like "Memory could not be assigned".
Packages should have been saved correctly.
Please see Bug 76123. You can install Red Hat Linux 8.0 in text mode with 64M
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 76123 ***
What is the resolution of this?
Changed to 'CLOSED' state since 'RESOLVED' has been deprecated.