Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 85697
Network Device Control can't deactivate dead connection
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:51:52 EDT
Description of problem: Network Device Control (NDC) can't deactivate dead
connection. When my modem connection goes dead (meaning it stays open, but I
can't connect to any websites; the connection basically stops working), I can't
use the NDC to deactivate the connection.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
How reproducible: I can only reproduce this problem when my modem connection
dies, which it does about 1/10 times.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Wait for connection to die (not disconnect, die as described above)
2. Open NDC dialog and click "Deactivate" button
Actual results: Popup dialog with message "can't deactivate connection"
Expected results: connection gets deactivated
Additional info: I notice the following event in my /var/log/messages file:
Mar 5 20:03:38 localhost /etc/hotplug/net.agent: NET unregister event not supported
I'm pretty sure this is the message that corresponds to the NDC popup dialog I
get when I try and close a dead connection that reads something like "can't
This same exact thing happens in Windows 98. I'm surfing along, and my modem
connection dies. However, in Windows I'm able to disconnect and then reconnect.
The way things are working with Redhat NDC now, I have to restart (!) in order
to disconnect/deactivate my modem connection.
FROM: firstname.lastname@example.org (Fred)
I have experienced similar behavior with my new Pogo Altura. My modem is a 56K
CNET Model No. CN5614XR. Below is the displayed error report:
Summary: TB /usr/bin/redhat-control-network:382:hydrate:AttributeError:
'NoneType' object has no attribute 'clear'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/redhat-control-network", line 503, in update_dialog
File "/usr/bin/redhat-control-network", line 382, in hydrate
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'clear'
I notice that it usually takes 2-3 tries to connect to my ISP whereas my old W95
Dell usually connected on the first try.
I have discovered that if I set the modem speed to something lower than the
maximum (56K for my CNET), the dial-up works perfectly the first time every
time. So I guess my problem is solved.
Assigning to correct component.
Read ya, Phil
you may try the update from:
This is a duplicate of bug 88858 (closed as duplicate of bug 82805).
Closing due to inactivity. Reopen, if the problem is still existing.