Bug 857087 - [RFE] when usbredir channel are available but usbclerk is not running (and usbdk is not installed), log warning and disable USB
[RFE] when usbredir channel are available but usbclerk is not running (and us...
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager
Classification: Red Hat
Component: mingw-virt-viewer (Show other bugs)
3.1.0
Unspecified Unspecified
unspecified Severity high
: ovirt-3.6.0-rc
: 3.6.0
Assigned To: Marc-Andre Lureau
SPICE QE bug list
: FutureFeature
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2012-09-13 10:34 EDT by David Jaša
Modified: 2016-03-09 15:03 EST (History)
14 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version: mingw-spice-gtk-0.26-4.el7ev mingw-virt-viewer-2.0-2.el7ev rhevm-spice-client 3.6-2
Doc Type: Enhancement
Doc Text:
With this release, the menu File->USB device selection is disabled on Windows client machines if usbclerk is not running and usbdk is not installed. For Spice usbredir to work, it is required that either usbclerk is running or usbdk is installed (or both). When it is known that usbredir will fail, it is better and clearer to the user to disable it.
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2016-03-09 15:03:51 EST
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: Spice
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
error dialog (116.86 KB, image/png)
2014-04-23 13:21 EDT, Marc-Andre Lureau
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description David Jaša 2012-09-13 10:34:37 EDT
Description of problem:
When USB share is enabled, spice-x should check if usbclerk (or RHEV USB Redirector) service is installed & running.

Currently, if you connect to the VM with usb share enabled but your client system doesn't have usbclerk (or RHEV Spice USB Client) installed or running, you'll get no indication that USB share can not work

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
rhevm-spice-client-x86-cab-3.1-4.el6.noarch

How reproducible:
always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. see Description
2.
3.
  
Actual results:
spice-x siletnly runs remote-viewer

Expected results:
spice-x should either
1) warn about USB share unavailability because of missing service
or
2) offer service installation

Additional info:
Comment 1 David Jaša 2012-10-15 04:16:05 EDT
*** Bug 865868 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 2 David Jaša 2012-10-15 04:17:35 EDT
from comment of the duplicate:

Uri Lublin 2012-10-14 13:54:47 CEST
> If the user has admin privileges, the virt-viewer installer also installs
> usbclerk (by calling usbclerk installer).
> If the user does not have admin privileges, the virt-viewer installer does
> not install usbclerk.
> Note that an admin user can install usbclerk by running usbclerk-setup.exe
> directly. It is located under the "bin" directory where virt-viewer was
> installed.
Comment 4 Marc-Andre Lureau 2014-03-13 07:55:34 EDT
(In reply to David Jaša from comment #0)
> Description of problem:
> When USB share is enabled, spice-x should check if usbclerk (or RHEV USB
> Redirector) service is installed & running.
> 
> Currently, if you connect to the VM with usb share enabled but your client
> system doesn't have usbclerk (or RHEV Spice USB Client) installed or
> running, you'll get no indication that USB share can not work
> 
> Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
> rhevm-spice-client-x86-cab-3.1-4.el6.noarch
> 
> How reproducible:
> always
> 
> Steps to Reproduce:
> 1. see Description
> 2.
> 3.
>   
> Actual results:
> spice-x siletnly runs remote-viewer

Why should this be checked in spice-x?

other connection methods could also benefit a more detailed explanation as why USB is not redirected. I would rather improve this in virt-viewer. It is also ultimately spice-gtk who knows if we want USB redirection. The portal might just have default values for guests, some channels may be disabled by client etc.

> Expected results:
> spice-x should either
> 1) warn about USB share unavailability because of missing service

I think that would be helpful

> 2) offer service installation

Not realistic. A browser applet can't provide you this option in a reasonable way.


That bug should be an rfe for mingw-virt-viewer, imho.
Comment 5 David Jaša 2014-03-17 12:14:31 EDT
(In reply to Marc-Andre Lureau from comment #4)
> Why should this be checked in spice-x?
> 

this bug predates other connection methods and at that time, spice-x was what was common to all installations and what launched other components. this assumption has changed.

> other connection methods could also benefit a more detailed explanation as
> why USB is not redirected. I would rather improve this in virt-viewer. It is
> also ultimately spice-gtk who knows if we want USB redirection. The portal
> might just have default values for guests, some channels may be disabled by
> client etc.
> 
> > Expected results:
> > spice-x should either
> > 1) warn about USB share unavailability because of missing service
> 
> I think that would be helpful
> 
> > 2) offer service installation
> 
> Not realistic. A browser applet can't provide you this option in a
> reasonable way.
> 
> 
> That bug should be an rfe for mingw-virt-viewer, imho.

Sure.
Comment 6 Marc-Andre Lureau 2014-04-23 08:36:39 EDT
looking into that now
Comment 7 Marc-Andre Lureau 2014-04-23 13:21:07 EDT
Created attachment 889047 [details]
error dialog

By default currently, when the USB manager can't be initialized, the menu is grayed. Is that enough?

With a small set of patch and reusing current USB error dialog, I get this not very sexy result.. infobar are not available in gtk2, and I am not sure we want to use them yet only for this case.
Comment 8 Marc-Andre Lureau 2014-04-23 13:23:54 EDT
I think I prefer to have only the menu greyed, as some people may not be able to install the service, and it's perfectly fine to run without using USB redirection.

However, a warning in the log should be enough to diagnose the issue in more details.

What do you think?
Comment 9 David Jaša 2014-04-25 07:21:04 EDT
Yes, you're right that log message is enough and dialog is too intrusive a solution for users without access to usbclerk.
Comment 10 Marc-Andre Lureau 2014-04-25 07:38:13 EDT
POSTed (debug "failed initialize winusb driver" should be changed to warning, or handled by virt-viewer):

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2014-April/016712.html
Comment 11 David Blechter 2014-05-23 10:58:00 EDT
too late without pm and qa acks, so moving to 3.5, or should we close it?
Comment 12 Marc-Andre Lureau 2014-07-25 09:48:50 EDT
I propose to move this to next rebase & release.
Comment 18 Christophe Fergeau 2015-06-05 11:10:03 EDT
This has now been pushed upstream, first patch of the series is http://cgit.freedesktop.org/spice/spice-gtk/commit/?id=a5747389cdb13ba2ef98a2c70b963328fdfa5cb7
Comment 19 Uri Lublin 2015-06-15 19:27:01 EDT
Fixed in mingw-spice-gtk-0.26-4.el7ev
         mingw-virt-viewer-2.0-2.el7ev
         rhevm-spice-client 3.6-2

With usbdk support added, usbredir is disabled if both usbdk and usbclerk are
not installed/running.
Comment 23 errata-xmlrpc 2016-03-09 15:03:51 EST
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.

For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.

If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.

https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHEA-2016-0377.html

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.