Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 857430
cursor somewhat broken in server mode on windows 7/8 clients and guests
Last modified: 2015-09-22 09:10 EDT
Description of problem:
Connecting to a freshly installed windows 7 (without any additional tools/agents) guest from windows 7/8 client results in a completely weird cursor behaviour -- cursor can't even get over virt-viewer window and instead "bounces back".
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install somewhere a clean win 7 guest
2. Set it up, so that you have to press ctrl+alt+del before logging in
3. Close the connection
4. Shut it down
5. Start it up again
6. Connect to the login screen
Cursor is completely unusable -- makes small bounces on guest in one corner, bounces from edges of window on client. (Send key Ctr+alt+del didn't work once either)
the cursor should be captured and locked in guest.
are you testing mingw-virt-viewer inside a VM (through spice or vnc)?
(In reply to comment #3)
> are you testing mingw-virt-viewer inside a VM (through spice or vnc)?
I encountered this on physical Windows XP client, too. The issue seems to be sort of random, I reproduced it with single client/host/guest twice, then something non-obvious happened and the cursor started working normally.
My random reproducer was somewhat simpler:
1) connect to a VM
2) make sure that agent is not running
3) disconnect from a VM, reconnect
4) grab cursor
Created attachment 633298 [details]
Video of what's wrong
Tried powering up an older installation of a clean XP VM, and couldn't do much because of this cursor issue.
Also David encountered the same problem with Fedora 18 guest, with vm mouse driver on a RHEL 6.4 client with virt-viewer-0.5.2-15.
So this problem most likely **isn't limited to** windows clients.
The problem is, randomness of the issue.
Mine client had 2 monitors, when I disconnected one, the mouse worked fairly fine. David's problems persisted.
Same here. Client/guest Win7 64b, RHEVM 3.1 si19.1
Raising priority as this bug bugged us consistently during our RHEVM 3.1 Beta 3 integration testing.
100% reproducer seemed to be:
1. Install windows 7 guest from a template - make sure you don't have any agents running.
2. Connect to it from a Windows client
Several more observations:
1) it happened to me last time right after first connection to freshly sysprep'd VM from template (win7x64), last client win xp
2) the cursor should be grabbed (title bar says "(Press <combo> to release pointer)") but it isn't, or more precisely, it's inversely grabbed
3) cursor jupms to the center of the whole screen: if you have two identical monitors side-by-side, it jumps to the center of common edge. The same goes for two monitor vertically and similarly for two identical monitors vertically - then the pointer jumps to the common
4) sometimes, when you right-click taskbar entry of r-v window, the mouse jumps as if it touched the actual window - even when there is fairly large gap between the taskbar menu and the window
5) once when I right-clicked the taskbar entry, guest also received right-click near the right edge of its desktop
I have a simpler reproducer:
Mouse in server mode, move client window so that it isn't in the center of the screen, enter the window, the mouse is grabbed and move. The cursor will be visible again, and any attempt to reach the client window will bring the cursor back to the center of the screen. This is related to moving the cursor out of the cursor clip...
sending patches to ML
*** Bug 843110 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.