Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 880758
Unable to login to cinnamon on Fedora 18 beta
Last modified: 2012-11-28 12:39:23 EST
Created attachment 653013 [details]
Screenshot that I got after entering login info.
Description of problem:
On Fedora 18 beta, choose cinnamon DE during install. After a fresh installation, first login screen does not log me in. The screenshot that I have is attached.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Fedora 18 beta - cinnamon
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install Fedora 18 beta with cinnamon DE.
2. After the install enter your login info.
3. The login manager fails to proceed further. (Screenshot attached)
Can not login.
I have no issues here running F18 beta in vbox on F17 or F18 hosts.
Judging by the messed up screenshot it looks like there is a video driver issue on the host machine.
I'm having the exact same issue. The host machine is a fully updated Windows 8 x64 installation with the latest nvidia (non-beta) drivers, running the latest stable version of Virtualbox. I'm using EMET as well on the host machine (DEP, ASLR & SEHOP enabled system-wide).
Virtualbox settings for the host machine:
-7 out of 16 vCPUs assigned to the guest machine. Host machine running an i7 2600k
-2 GB out of 8 GB of RAM assigned to the guest machine
-VT-x, nested paging, IO APIC and 3D acceleration enabled
-64 MB of video memory assigned
-20 GB virtual harddrive for the guest machine, dynamically allocated
I'm using a GTX 560 Ti that's otherwise fully functional and I have absolutely no issues with. My hardware is fine, honest.
Steps taken during installation:
1. Start installer as normal
2. Choose Cinnamon desktop in installer, use English (US, alternative international) keyboard layout, no encryption, and automatic partitioning
3. Set "Test" as both root password and main account password, as well as username (lowercase) and account name
4. Login manager will claim you're currently logged in after entering correct password, but there's no way to proceed past the login manager, and it displays various graphical glitches.
FWIW, Cinnamon on a Linux Mint guest with identical settings works fine, and I haven't had this issue in either Xfce or Gnome DEs in F18.
Are you using the dvd media?, if so you could be hitting a similar issue to this
Cinnamon isn't on the dvd media so it probably isn't installed
Ah, that'd explain a lot. I am using the dvd media, yeah.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 878985 ***
If you use the VT you could run
yum install @Cinnamon