Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 90332
OpenOffice huge font syndrome
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:53:30 EDT
Description of problem:
I installed RH9.0 from box-set CD's on a Compaq Evo N610c and specified "generic
1400 x 1050 LCD", 31.5-90kHz Horiz, 59-75 Vert. scan settings, ATI Radeon 7500,
for the monitor which wasn't successfully autoprobed.
During the install, RH9 crashed during install with message:
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/iw/partition_gui.py", line 933, in new CB
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/iw/partition_gui.py", line 1095, in editPartitonRequest
raise RunimeError ("Returning partitions to state")
Runtime Error: Retuning partitions to state prior to edit failed.
All the applications (Mozilla, kate, emacs, kterm, abiword, gnumeric,...)
appear to work fine, with the notable exception of the entire OpenOffice suite.
Openoffice started with an insanely huge font such that FILE would fill the
screen and the entire suite was unusable. I used your package manager to remove
openoffice, then manually deleted the .openoffice directory, then reinstalled
the package, and now it doesn't run. Manually installing the RPM and running it
produces the error, "unable to find libcomphelp2.so" and none of the openoffice
applications will fire up.
I've performed two "install/updates" to try to get Open Office running, to no
avail. Clicking on the menu entries produces no result. Opening a terminal
window and executing ./usr/lib/openoffice/soffice.bin produces:
./soffice.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libsvl641li.so: cannot
open shared object file: No such file or directory.
I downloaded the most recent OpenOffice tarball (1.0.3) from openoffice.org, and
attempted to install it, but even the installation utility suffers from the
huge-font syndrome (although the fonts seem a little smaller, they are still to
huge to work with), so I aborted the installation. The insanely huge fonts
OpenOffice uses are clear, sharp, with excellent contrast. They are simply
huge, and one word fills an entire screen, rendering the interface unusable.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
RH9.0, OpenOffice 1.0.2 and 1.0.3
Steps to Reproduce:
1.click on OpenOffice application or execute command line in terminal
Actual results: Huge fonts render entire office suite useless
Expected results: functional interface
This is most likely a duplicate of bug #88581
I also have this problem, which did not exsist with rh7.3 and/or rh8.0
Sorry I can't quite recall all the details, and I can only run
openoffice as root, but I do now have it running. The bug is
related to #88581, but I was unable to modify the xf86config
file(s) to fix the erroneous dpi value the fonts in OO use. The
porblem arises from the mislabeling of the values to be entered
in RH9.0 graphical xf86 configuration utility - it asks for
something like screen resolution (1400x1024 in my case), but
really wants pixels/inch or something like that.
Apparently, most other applications ignore the crazy number thus
produced for pixels/char, but OO generates monstrous fonts with
Please try current OOo 1.1.0, and reopen if problem still occurs