Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 906188
[RFE] Group multiple locale codes under language teams
Last modified: 2015-07-28 22:46:49 EDT
Description of problem:
Locales that are effectively equivalent such as 'es' and 'es-ES' are completely separated in Zanata. This means that translators have to join multiple language teams, more language team coordinator roles must be filled, and extra administration is required for language team management.
- Equivalent locales should be grouped together under language teams so that there are less teams to manage and translators can join less teams.
- Joining a team should give a translator permission to translate any of the locales that are grouped under that team.
- A default set of language groups/teams should be present in a standard Zanata deployment, but an administrator should be able to add a new language team, change which language team a locale is grouped under, and remove an empty language team.
Also, locale groups should be applied to TM requests and copyTrans. In other words, someone translating a project in es should see es-ES translation memory results as well.
Automatic merging of TM results makes sense for exactly equivalent locales, but may not be desired in some cases for closely related but not identical locales. Translators may be able to provide some insight here.
When we have implemented the ability to select different locales in the TM search, I suggest that we either:
- provide an option to use results from each locale individually, as well as an option to use a merged set of results from all locales in the locale group for the locale of the document. The merged set might be a good default; OR
- allow selection of any combination of locales for TM results, with all the locales in the locale group being selected by default.
*** Bug 1075276 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
This has been brought up in user interviews. Specifically related to Chinese.
Reassigned to PM
Migrated; check JIRA for bug status: http://zanata.atlassian.net/browse/ZNTA-187