Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 963816
hpijs dependency on net-snmp causes it to be uninstalled when mysql* packages are removed
Last modified: 2013-05-20 09:36:43 EDT
Description of problem:
Back on April 29th, 2013 I ran the following command, `yum erase mysql*` as I wanted to install the mariadb packages instead. Today (May 16th, 2013), I attempted to print and got the error message in the print dialog, "file "/usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups" not available". Running `yum provides /usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups` shows that the file is provided by package hpijs, which was not installed. Curious, because I'd printed many times from this computer, I installed the package, and low-and-behold, I could print again.
Consequently, I discovered that hpijs was uninstalled on April 29th, 2013, when I removed all mysql-related packages from my system. When I installed hpijs, I noticed it has a dependency on net-snmp. net-snmp WAS uninstalled, along with hpijs, on April 29th, 2013.
I think this dependency relationship should probably be removed, because removing mysql-related packages on a desktop/workstation almost certainly should *NOT* remove my ability to print!
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install MySQL packages as well as net-snmp (maybe by dependencies), and also hpijs if it's not already installed.
2. run `yum erase mysql*`, and observe as hpijs washes away in the runoff.
Removal of the database server and client software disables printing on HP printers
Removal of database server and client software does NOT disable printing on HP printers
I don't know why hpijs needs to rely on net-snmp, and/or why removal of mysql-related packages REMOVES net-snmp. Perhaps extremely relevant, I have the *remove-with-leaves* yum plugin. Is this the expected behavior of this plugin?
I'd just like to say I would have included "remove-with-leaves" as the culprit in the title, but I'm not entirely sure it is the sole source of this problem. At least mentioning it here and in the description should bring that issue up in searches in case other people have similar or related problems.
Here is a list of packages from yum.log that were uninstalled when I ran `yum erase mysql*`:
Apr 29 13:40:40 Erased: 1:eclipse-pydev-2.7.1-6.fc17.noarch
Apr 29 13:40:41 Erased: jython-2.2.1-9.fc17.noarch
Apr 29 13:40:41 Erased: phpMyAdmin-3.5.8-1.fc17.noarch
Apr 29 13:40:41 Erased: mysql-server-5.5.30-1.fc17.x86_64
Apr 29 13:40:41 Erased: php-mysql-5.4.14-1.fc17.x86_64
Apr 29 13:40:41 Erased: perl-DBD-MySQL-4.020-2.fc17.x86_64
Apr 29 13:40:41 Erased: mysql-5.5.30-1.fc17.x86_64
Apr 29 13:40:41 Erased: gmyth-0.7.1-18.fc17.x86_64
Apr 29 13:40:41 Erased: hplip-3.12.11-1.fc17.x86_64
Apr 29 13:40:41 Erased: 1:hpijs-3.12.11-1.fc17.x86_64
Apr 29 13:40:41 Erased: 1:net-snmp-5.7.1-5.fc17.1.x86_64
Apr 29 13:40:41 Erased: sysbench-0.4.12-6.fc17.x86_64
Apr 29 13:40:41 Erased: 1:mysql-connector-java-5.1.21-2.fc17.noarch
Apr 29 13:40:41 Erased: mysql-libs-5.5.30-1.fc17.x86_64
$ rpm --test -e net-snmp mysql-libs
$ rpm -q hpijs
Works fine here on F-18.
Maybe try without the 'remove-with-leaves' plugin, to narrow down the cause of what you're seeing.
(In reply to Basil Mohamed Gohar from comment #2)
> Apr 29 13:40:41 Erased: hplip-3.12.11-1.fc17.x86_64
> Apr 29 13:40:41 Erased: 1:hpijs-3.12.11-1.fc17.x86_64
I already fixed that in hplip-3.12.11-2.fc17 (bug #895643) but have not created an F17 update since then. I'll do it now.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 895643 ***